Deck bedding on chine?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Brian Peterson, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Brian Peterson

Brian Peterson Junior Member

I'be been reading Thills thread on deck replacement below, from 2.28.12 - I have the same problem, with a new question.

This concerns a 17-foot , 64" beam runabout that I had to GUT last fall. Just getting started on it again....
    I am going to be using 2x6s on edge for stringers (ala the original), bedded in 4200 on the hull, then tabbing and FGing the whole stringer system in. The deck will be 5/8 ply , resined both sides / edges, then bedded to the stringers with 4000 and screwed down. The deck / sole will be 2 layers CSM minimum, 4"biax for tabbing, 2 layers.

I understand the spacing around the hull / deck edges, but do I also BED the edges ON the chine, and in the V or just let them float? I'm thinking the tabbing would hold them in place, but any spaces between the ply and the chine would be a problem, maybe?

Bedding is PB resin or 4200?