Deck Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Stormbringer79, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I think the main concern was weight so a low density foam core panel is much stiffer and lighter and will require less of a support structure, it won't rot and yes will cost a bit more but then again it's not going to rot on so ... what are the true costs? As for getting it as smooth as ply sheathed in glass, I don't know what are you talking about, fairing will be exactly the same and if he wants to do it right he would infuse or bag the panels on a smooth table to get the top side perfectly finished with no fairing at all.

Stormbringer79 likes this.
  2. Stormbringer79

Stormbringer79 Junior Member

Weight was indeed the original concern but if it is going to be a very negligible difference then cost wins out I think. I'd like to have the top side a bit rough to aid with grip, this will be coated with an anti slip coating of some description too. I am never going to have the option to do things properly unfortunately, this is a build being done in the garage but I'm good with it not being perfectly flat :)

3. Stormbringer79

Stormbringer79 Junior Member

Just reading through today and I noticed that I completely missed you first post Par, please do not think I was dismissing what you said as I was not at all. Thanks for the welcome too :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.