Have a laugh on me, Boat for sale!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by djaus, Sep 3, 2013.

1. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

View attachment 84217 View attachment 84218 View attachment 84219

Try not to laugh too loud but these folks want close to 2K for this junker. 40hp motor included but I guess you'd have to fit it yourself...along with everything else! I think the fold away bimini would be worth more than the boat, motor & trailer combined!

I know I shouldn't take the mickey but some folks have high expectations.
    I wonder if they'd sell the plywood sign to me? LOL

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I'm not laughing. Some of these old classics are very popular. See Fiberglassics.com. Not that I think this one is worth $2000, but I have a restored 1972 Sea Ray 190 that is probably worth about $3000 on the market, but to me it is priceless. When I bought it the trailer was worth far more than the boat.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can ask anything you want. I usually ask for considerably more then I know something is worth, just in case I find a real sucker. I'll let them beat me up on the price and still settle on something higher than what I'd hoped in the end. Yeah, I'm a *****.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Well, PAR you should buy it and place a $20,000 price tag on it.

I want a 6% commission for my brilliant idea.

:)

5. PAR

Look, I'll give you a $100 bucks if I sell it at 20k and 3% if you do. In reality, boats like this are completely free, with the purchase of engine, controls, electronics and trailer. A 40 HP engine could easily be 2k, assuming it has good controls that come with it. The trailer look trashed and it seems to have no electronics and antique controls , so it's the engine baby.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I think it's worth potentially more, people pay for training these days..... imagine how much that could be learnt on the restoration... mechanical repair, transom replacement/fiberglassing, welding for the trailer, painting... at say a thou per training module item that's 4 grand straight up plus a few G on parts etc & you get to enjoy the fruits of your training as a matriculation prize at the end.... hats in the air.... yipppeeeee!
    Jeff.

7. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

I didn't actually look that close but it sure looked trashed to me. You could suffer an injury just by sitting on those seats!
    Then there's the issue of the price & contact details painted on the sheer. I think they know it's worthless.

I was going to offer to put it on Gumtree.com for the owner but with a price expectation like that I'd be embarrassed & I bet they wouldn't drop much lower.

I wonder if they'll sell me the bimini, I want one for my Hartley project.

8. PAR

Information is the easiest way to disarm and bring owners down to earth. Once an informed person tells them the hull form pre-dates modern hull forms, the manufacture is of no special significance, the transom is shot, the soles soft, the controls frozen, the electrical is rat eaten, etc., etc., etc., they usually come back to reality. To further beat them up, no free title, no current registration and a trailer that can't be trusted to go more then a few miles. They may give you 20 bucks and beg you to haul it out of their yard.

9. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Me, I wouldn't bother making an offer, period!

besides Par, how do you think I got my Hartley for free...LOL.
    Initially the owner wanted $950. Then she said if the motor's stuffed she'll pay me to tow it away, then after I told her of the timber rot, the non functioning waterpump, the rubbish paint throughout, the ruined, rusty, untowable & worthless trailer, the frozen jockey wheel & the sheer amount of work involved to repair it....she said "just take it"!