Debris in my local river after heavy rain

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by djaus, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Just how long have you been making posts on *any* forum? Once you start a thread, it's out of your control. Statement of the bleeding obvious to anyone who's been on the net for more than, oh, say 5 minutes...

As for waiting for anyone, anywhere, to meet *your* demand for information, let alone 'justify his existence on this forum' - I offer 2 suggestions.

1. Do some basic research for yourself. Your public embarrassment may well be less.

2. Don't hold your breath while waiting for the 'justification'.

PDW

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I'm not sure of how the climate affects debris deposited into rivers in
    Tasmania. In general it is a much wetter place than most of Australia.

For your future reference, droughts and flooding rains are the norm for
    large swathes of Australia. A poem that is inflicted on all Australian
    kids at some stage has the lines...

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains.

I'll dig through my photos one day to see if I can find a shot of a 4 metre
    diameter tree trunk lodged about 10 metres up another tree. When you
    look around it's impossible to see where the first tree came from and how it
    got to its final landing place. The surrounding area is as flat as a pancake
    and there are no obvious riverbeds for miles around. Doubtless
    there are similar cases in the USA when your big rivers burst their banks.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Plenty of forestry activity in Tasmania, could explain the debris, and that tree trunk 10 metres up the tree Leo spoke of, was probably put there by the same people who hoist old cars up into trees, or on top of poles, around the countryside ! Or maybe not.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The tree I spoke of was in South Australia in the Flinders Ranges.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Nah, just my feeble attempt at a joke. To see flood debris perched high in trees is sobering for prospective real estate buyers in the area. John Oxley, the first European to navigate the Brisbane River, reported astonishment at seeing such debris at least 80 feet above water level in large trees along the bank. Surprising then, that a new settlement was established there, when such a warning was there for all to see. In the nearly 200 years since, there have been at least half a dozen devastating floods, the latest in 2011.

1 person likes this.
  6. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

It's occurrence is regular enough. Winter in Tasmania brings many cold fronts from the southern ocean & lot's of rain with them. Usually June, July & August are the worst months.
    I honestly don't think it would be possible to suffer a drought in Tas'.

We've had rain & cold non stop for about the last 3 weeks. Now the last 2 days have been nice & warm but still rains over night. In summer it warms up but that just causes more rain!

I think the combination of heavy rain & a big tide was the cause of the debris. I just thought it would be good to make people aware of what lurk's in the water on any given day.

Once, a 6 ton tree trunk 10m long washed up on west Ulverstone's beach! Wouldn't wanna run over that in your boat eh'.

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I've seen lots of logs floating and even a substantial part of a timber bridge. After floods it's common. We saw one large tree off NZ that was floating close to vertical with about 15 feet above the water black branch stumps and covered in barnacles. It gave me a fright as we passed by quite close in poor visibility and you wonder what the heck you are seeing at first.

Nothing like the waters between Vancouver island and the mainland, the ferry runs over logs commonly, it's "bang then rumble rumble rumble" as it passes underneath an hour later there's another. 10 minutes later another....

8. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Not being pendantic or anything Troy but Tasmania is that bigish island just under the much bigger island called Australia, NZ is the (obviously much better) group of islands 1200nm east of the other ones.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Oops. I know Tasmania isn't part of New Zealand; I just went temporarily brain dead. At least I hope it's temporary....

10. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

I agree with Titirangi. Apart from the occasional earthquake NZ would be better than Tas'. I believe Tas is the A'hole of Australia. Sh_t runs downhill! I was born here & left in '88, only moved back here in 2010 to help my mum after she bought a cheap house, then the bank up'd the mortgage payments so she sold it. Now we all want out of the state.

Tasmania is stuck in a time warp. You'd be lucky to find a shop open on a sunday, 95% are closed. I have life skills coming out my razoo & do you think I can get any work. Too many local councils trying to run thing's & then there's the government....don't get me started! Politicians really know how to mess thing's up. These days you need a permit for EVERYTHING! Maybe I should start my own government, they seem to make a lot of money by doing sweet FA!

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Don't hold back, djaus. Tell us how you really feel.... :D

12. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Hahaha. That's really funny to a person who grew up in Sydney. You want to know what excessive bureaucracy is really like, try building anything there. I love Tasmania because it's so backward compared to the big island.

As for lack of work despite 'life skills' what is there to say other than somehow, I've never had a problem here, in fact quite the reverse.

Still, you're close to the ferry and a one way ticket is only $110. Even your dole payments could cover that, so what's your excuse for not going to Melbourne in pursuit of a job commensurate with your talents? The boat sails every night, you could be there by the end of this week. Off you go......

PDW

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

That's why-except to clear tidal runs and to not spend $550 an hour on fuel-I run my boat at 8-9 knots and not 30.
    And I'd really hate to hit an orca as well.

14. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

If you can manage to hit an orca, you're doing well. Some of us have tried getting that close and it isn't easy if they don't want to play.

PDW

15. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Sounds easy when you put it like that. Not so easy in reality. There's lots of things to consider like fuel, food & accommodation just to mention a few.
    I'm renting so there's the lease to consider plus I have a young son to consider also.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.