Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont get it?:confused:

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I think most yacht are prone to pirate when they anchor and sleep nesr an island reef... Sitting duck theory... Other, accident in sea due to storm and underwater collision and claim pirate did it... Barrier reef can easy cut thru fiber and alumnium.

3. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

There are few real pirate stories because almost always real pirate stories are told by dead men, and we all know how well dead people talk.

This is not a romantic tale, it is a real risk of sailing and one should give it some thought.

Unfortunately, laws have become such that it has become impossible to defend one self adequately and in a legal way.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

While a running clock may NEVER be right a broken one is right 2 x per day.
    Say it's sitting on 05h00, then YOU will be exactly right at 0500 in the morning and at 05h00 in the afternoon.

You do have a watch.. somewhere... on the PC maybe, a broken one :D

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, I think he means the connection between thread topic and a phucked clock? - response is - - same end result except the clock is still (OK twice a day), but the pirate victim is not? :D:D:D:D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Mas, typo... I fixed it up.

How's the boat coming on ? I bet the pirates are just as excited... :D

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Lumber is ordered, along with all the chemicals, and build site organised and expertise (builder) arranged - what more can I do as there is another boat occupying the space.... I offered to take that boat instead, but was assured that I should make the build journey first... :D:D:D - - - - - Re pirates, take all care and avoid presenting any temptation....

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Simple really; when going for a sail you go "loaded for bear", along comes the Pie rat, you blase away at each other you die - no story!

he dies, you loot his boat, kill zem all, sink the boat destry the evidence.............no story

life goes on!

Can't see the problem, what you must not do is keep any kind of record or souvenier - you keep those you get caught, you die simple really! So YOU DON'T! AGAIN SIMPLE REALLY!

9. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Very occasionally you do get someone who survives to tell the tale.

Once i met an American with a Pilipina wife on a sailboat. He described how when he was sailing the seven seas (i can't unfortunately remember which one now it was a long time ago, the Celebes sea, Sulu sea, Java sea?) a boat with armed men approached him.

Now this guy believed in defensive weaponry and had a fully automatic piece onboard. The moment he became suspicious he had got it and slid it under the cockpit cushion. When the moment came that he no longer had any reason to doubt their true intent he whipped it out and sprayed them with lead. Meanwhile wifie hiding inside ready to pass out of companionway more rounds.

He did have some luck working for him as well though because he said that they obviously did not suspect for a second that he would be armed, judging by their nonchalant attitude, guns pointing down. Seems they did not see a need to rush the job.

Last mistake they ever did.

He was also taking a big risk of another kind in that many of those countries impose the death penalty for having a gun. Which explains why the pirates did not suspect him of being able to retaliate. It also means that those armed pirates are not playing tiddly winks and certainly won't indulge in leaving witnesses.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A yacht came in the marina. He was an Auusi with his missus, nice guy,one day on the dock I asked what all the patches in his hulls were from.

He was passing Socotra on his way North in big swells and this boat came out of from nowhere spraying bullets at him with an automatic. Within minutes they were on board and had them both on the trampoline while they ransacked the boat. His wife was bleeding baddly from a bullet that went through her thigh.
    They seemed to be in uniform but had discarded the tops.

Eventually they had finished and the elder of them went up front to get the young kid who was holding them at gun point. The kid lifted the gun to fire and the old guy pushed it aside and they left.

They had to turn to the west and get ashore to see about his wifes leg. When they got in the marine police wanted him to go back out with them on board to blow them away.

They missed the VHF because one of his kids drawings was taped above it and had fell down covering the VHF.

He still travels this place but never has arms --or so he says.

11. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Interesting how when they take the guns away from honest people the dishonest florish, and operate more freely. This has definitly been the case with Canada's "Gun Registry. " Things have gotten steadlily worse since. This has been the case everywhere it has been tried.
    Brent

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Brent, Unfortunately mate, that is very true.

It seems the police want the crooks around so that they have a job to do.

13. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

You gotta protect your interests after all ain't ye?

14. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.