Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

While my personal inclination (full disclosure: I am a US Army vet, found out I was pretty good at that firearms stuff) would be to blow away any rotten ******** who wanted to steal or destroy what I worked hard to earn, much less ****, kill, or even brutalize anyone close to me, I've found a solution to this whole pirate business: the personal U boat.

Have a look, they only cost about the same as skimmer megayachts (we all own skimmer megayachts, right?) and the biggest has life support to stay submerged for 20 days.

http://ussubs.com/submarines/luxury.php3

Cheers,

Charlie

Attached Files:

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The luxury sub concept, with Wellmer's concrete construction process, might just produce an "affordable" personal cruising sub in the forseeable future. That's a pretty awesome vision to contemplate (at least to me).

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

OK, a serious comment: Jack Frost and Harlemriverman have it right. In the real world, conflict has no rules except the one that says if you decide to fight, fight to win.

The big problem most of us would face would be commiting to the fight. Few "good" people could fire a gun or stab with a knife intending to kill another human without hesitating, and the hesitation would likely be fatal to them. That's reality, along with the bigger gun problem: carrying enough firepower to fight off an assault by organized pirates (definition: seagoing thugs) will put you in huge trouble with almost any government on the planet.

I hate to admit that I would place limits on myself based on the behavior of others, but I agree with jack and Harlemriverman. Until I can afford one of those yacht sub things so I can stay submerged for a few days, if necessary, I'll limit my travel and cruising to areas considered "safe". Thankfully, there are quite a few areas both beautiful and safe still left.

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Now back to the rollicking spirit of most of this thread.

Safewalrus, what do all those PETA freaks think of bird flu and your government's whacking a bazillion or so turkeys 'cause one of them had the sniffles? Over here they'd likely want to let the poor turkeys live and whack the nasty, polluting people.

They may have more influence than we realize. I've noticed that most governments, regardless of type, seem to have a high percentage of turkeys in high places.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

that's the trouble Charmc, the turkeys in our government don't realise they are turkeys and act purely on impulse! We did the same during the foot and mouth crisis a few years ago - slaughtered a few million animals, nearly decimated the farming industry! doing the same now with the war industry, send our soldiers to foreign shore to fight wars that have bugger all to do with us, when they come home they either deny the soldiers existence or sack them or both! hang it, you guys are learning from us to!

Best I stop now before I gets into trouble (oh and buddy further your earlier statement # 522 theres a few of them guys around here - not just from the States either, you'd be suprised who - there again maybe not! good hunting)

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah theres always some of those --naughty naughty oohh now then, mabye it is maybe it isnt --mustnt say oh no you;de be surprised but then again maybe not. Better not say, dont want to get into trouble --not saying maybe they did maybe not

Walruss? What the flying F#$% you on about???

If you:ve got something to say --spit it out ---if not!!!

Whos giving this guy rep points ? he's got more that me--he's rubbish compared to me.

7. safewalrus

Jack funnily enough I wasn't talking to you! and we all know everybody is rubbish compared to you :!: who or whatever you are? :confused: No sorry we know what you are - just can't figure out why is all!!:D

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

jack we are all we have,,,somebody weak just means someone else is strong,we all have our points ,,,some in design some in handaling a boat in a storm. others in building a boat to last.im sure walruss means most in jest, god knows his photo is funny as hell.nobody is better than anybody,,,,,I think apologys are due,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still love ya jack,,,,,,,,longliner

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

[QUOTE=I think apologys are due,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yer so do I -what about it Walruss?

10. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Yes I think "sorry" is apropriate.

I feel sorry for both of you.:rolleyes:

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ho-- Hum-- sundays are so boring, cant even get a decent argument.

Think Ille go and feed the monkeys. Stare at one of the females that usually gets em going.

12. safewalrus

Get a fellow feeling for em I suppose! - I find slagging Jack has much the same effect! when I can be bothered (you're winding Jack, as usual! typical marine engineer):D :D :p :p all mouth and no trousers [appoligies to the real engineers amongst you]

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes I do actually, you know one of the old ones looks a bit like you, I call him ole walruss.

"your winding jack"?? do you mean whining? well yes of course I am --Im a pom --its my job.

They are a lot like you really and just as easy to wind up. If i went down the swamp and got a little Python they really go nuts. Just a bit difficult to catch -- you gotta dive in after them or get them with a net. Just dont let them get a hold on you or you'lle have to cut into him. Well that would be a large one though. They do bite but its not bad,--bit like a dog with blunt teeth. ----- hey thats just like you too.

Now the Monitors there really thick,--- eeerrrm

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

What's going on?

Jack, Walrus,

What's up? Last week I posted nice statements about each of you, demonstrating the high regard I hold for you both, based on wise words you have posted on this and other topics.

I leave for the weekend for some time with my lady, and what happens? Two boys in the sandbox start yelling at each other, like they never heard of how to play nicely. Geeeeeeeeeze!!!

Jack, if you're a guy who prefers staring at attractive females over jousting verbally on line..... you're my kind of guy!

Walrus, 1. Yeah, mate, there's way too many bleedin' heart liberal types bemoaning the fate of the poor criminal, and forgetting the ones who's lives he's ruined. 2. Right again about the soldiers. Your mate Kipling put it best, I've always thought. "For it's 'Tommy this' and 'Tommy that', and 'Throw 'im out, the brute'; but it's 'Saviour of the Country', when the guns begin to shoot". I'm playing a small part now in an effort to get our turkeys, errr thieving ********, errrr politicians to fund adequate recovery and therapy facilities and personnel for our many wounded soldiers.

Jack, Walrus, make nice, guys. It's a big sandbox, and you're both good players.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im locking the boat up and I am going home --Thailand , I shall be staring at attractive females for the next month. I will be poping in now and again to see how you guys are doing but doubt if I will be in a state of mind to say much.

That probably wont stop me, but I shall try to resist the temptation anyway.

Charmc your in charge.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.