Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Reality Check

Don't confuse pirates boarding commercial ships with those boarding private yachts. There are two very different threats and one is not my problem.

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Yes, although commercial shipping piracy seems to have a better victim survival rate.

Rob

3. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Can you validate that claim?

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

4. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Can I validate my suggestion?

HA! Not at all -totally wild and unfounded speculation. :)

Well actually I probably say it because I'v heard more murderous stories of yachts than commercial shipping, and the "online piracy report" cited earlier
    suggests there are numerous acts of (commercial) piracy reported. Of course attacks on private yachts are not necessarily reported.

Also, how do you differeniate between the pirates targetting ships, and pirates taking pot shots at yachts?
    Obviously some ship pirate's are highly organised semi-professional outfits, whereas others are opportunistic fishermen and the like. (commonly accepted theory of piracy in Asia)
    A yacht would seem an easy target to an armed fisherman who's prepared to attack a ship.

One shouldn't suggest for a moment that anyone dealt with the piracy issue in any way they were not comfortable with. As I suggested in an earlier post, people have reacted to pirates in various ways, with varied results. As has also been suggested (and I would agree) the most assured way to avoid piracy is to avoid pirate prone areas.

Rob

5. Portager

Portager Senior Member

I have studied pirate problem both professionally and for personal interest.

The storries and tales that get passed around the marina are sometimes exagerated a little at the start, increasing exponentially with each recital.

In my professional life, I do weapon system integration and electro-optical fire control systems. The attached image shows my companies boat on which I am responsible for the fire control system. This system consists of a 30mm chain gun capable of firing 200 rounds per minute with dispersion less than 1 mrad at 2 km. This would be a very effective weapon against pirates. I have tried unsucessfully to interest foreign countries in acquiring this capability as a means of dealing with their pirate problems. It turns out most of those countries are not interested in dealing with the piracy problem. As long as it doesn't get too out of control it is cheaper to ignore it. It is also seen as a form on unemployment relief that is funded by the insurance carriers of the shipping companies. To deal with the problem they would need to purchase expensive equipment, hire and train additional Coast Guard crews, ... Therefore they try and get the pirates to restrict their attacks to merchant ships since that has little impact on the tourist industry.

Most of the attacks on private yachts occur in the Caribbean and they are carried out as a means of acquiring a yachts for drug smuggling. These attacks rarely end in **** or murder because the penality for that is higher than drug running. Now that the US Coast Guard is searching more boats, including US registered boats, these attacks have fallen off considerable. The remaining attacks are basically petty theft on the high seas. In most cases it pays to follow the coast so that you are in controlled waters instead of international waters.

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

Attached Files:

6. If you do not want pirate trouble, why do you go into their waters, delibertly challenging them to come and get your American boat and lives? YOU are worse than them. Usually, 2 types of people go into those waters. Naive travelers and people who do business with one of the groups. Rich

7. Portager

Portager Senior Member

That’s like blaming the victims of drunk drivers for being on the road. I try to avoid traveling when the bars are closing, but if I get hit in the middle of the afternoon or at 2:00 AM it is still the drunk drivers fault.

My original post started with,

It is relatively easy to avoid the coast of Nigeria and you can skirt the coast of Somalia without too much trouble, however avoiding the Malaccan Straights requires circumnavigating the Australian continent and avoiding the Red Sea requires circumnavigating the African continent. In the latter case you would need to pass near Nigeria and Somalia and round Cape Horn. I’m pretty sure the Red Sea would be less dangerous. So the choice is basically stay home or take your chances. I'll take my chances and hedge my bets by caravanning through the Red Sea.

Another thing, how do I know the pirates will stay in their waters? Is their a line drawn on a pirate map that clearly delineates where their waters are? Do I get to see that map or is it for their eyes only?

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

8. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

That's disgusting.....

Why are you spending your time using all that firepower on pirates, when you could be using it where it's needed - to take out jet skiers?????

9. Skiers are OK. Shoot some of the Cormorants and Geese!! Rich

10. Be careful leaving Chaguaramas and going to Venezuala without some serious fire power! I'm not getting into it but that is all I can tell you.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Not much effort is required to eliminate Jet Skiers.

Simply take some 2 or 3 ft hunks of polly like (THAT FLOATS) and strip them into the very fine strands their made of.

Toss them in the water in as large a pattern as you can .

When sucked in the jet pump they melt and heat weld the pump into a solid lump.

Takes complete disassembly (and sometines new seals ) to get the toy functioning again.

Best of all a large patch will disable 5 or 6 at once , so ALL have to swim towing their toys .

A really fine sport and great way to recycle old line!

Pass this HINT on to others assaulted by these fools.

FAST FRED

12. sailsnail

sailsnail Junior Member

I can confirm that!

|>

13. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Fouling up Jet Skiers

That is really great Fred.....

14. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Hope you have your attorney on speed dial :)

Bill H.

15. freeagent

freeagent Junior Member

Rotflmao!! :D :D :D

Seeing the pic of Portagers heavily armed company boat gave me an Idea. Start a business that recovers vessels and properties stollen by pirates!! It should be called Repirate!! :idea:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.