Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If you post a quote get it right. That which you attribute to me was said by Golda Meir.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

... a long time ago.

3. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Yes, indeed. I apologize.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It would take more than the likes of you to hurt my feelings; it's been tried by experts. But I'll say this, and you can believe it or kiss my ***:

I wasn't in charge of deciding whether or not to go to war in Vietnam, and no one asked me what the strategy should be.

But I never attacked a civilian, or killed an unarmed man.

I never ordered an attack on civilians, or ordered unarmed men killed.

I never stood by and allowed someone else to attack civilians, or kill unarmed men.

However, I do seem to remember some Viet Cong and NVA who were pretty enthusiastic about killing the families of those who opposed them. And it went the other way, too; ARVN forces could and did wipe out villages they suspected of aiding the North.

Again, men at war don't generally turn into angels; war is a brutal business. But I'd say the average American soldier was less interested in killing noncombatant Vietnamese than the Vietnamese themselves were--on both sides.

edit: whether you admit it or not, there is a difference between collateral damage, and deliberately targeting civilians instead of military opponents. Pretending otherwise is pretending that there's no difference between a soldier and a murderer, and that a soldier can have no code of conduct and no honor. And if in fact that's what you believe, the world is probably lucky you were never in uniform.

Also: despite your efforts as an apologist for murderers, I don't believe having my wife and children killed would justify me deliberately killing someone else's women and children. I'm beyond the tribal stage, and I don't believe in 'avenging' innocents by killing more innocents.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

You have a cooler head than I, Troy.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I notice he's from the Netherlands. How seriously am I supposed to take his opinion about things military? After all, It was a force of UN "peacekeepers" from his country who stood by at Srebrenica, and allowed the Serbs to slaughter 8,000 Bosnian men and boys in 1995.

I wonder how peacefully they slept during the following nights, after refusing to do their duty as soldiers and protectors? Did they even realize they had committed a greater sin by doing nothing, than they could have done by doing anything else at all?

7. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Turks were killed, rightfully or not by Israeli soldiers...

Turkish peoples are supposed to be fairly "neutral" in this case, so killing another
    nations unarmed citizens in international waters, seem a bit rude. The conflict the Israelis have with Lebanon should not be taken out on the citizens of other nations, period.

An investigation is needed. the Israeli attitude towards an International investigation is a bit strange. An investigation should be based on what took place at least as early as when the ships were loaded, until what happend when loads and passengers were released (or even as early as when the ships was chartered and the contacts/ contracts in that stage of this event) , I just can't see that Israeli investigators should perform a useful job on some of these areas.... A team of Israeli investigators in Turkish harbour...? Eh well...

"But Mr Netanyahu said any investigation must be conducted "responsibly and objectively" and said that he was looking into other possibilities.
    His ambassador to the United States was more categorical, insisting that the idea of an international commission was unacceptable to Israel.
    "Israel is a democratic nation," Michael Oren told Fox News. "Israel has the ability and the right to investigate itself, not to be investigated by any international board."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...am-Hague-calls-for-international-inquiry.html

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Look at it from Israel's viewpoint. I imagine they're more than a little tired of being judged by other nations, who don't lift a finger to stop Israelis from being killed--but deplore anything Israel does to stop it from happening. And if it's a UN investigation, I have no doubt they'll decide it's Israel's fault, no matter what happened.

I've seen the videos of those 'neutral, unarmed Turkish citizens' swarming the Israelis as they rappelled aboard. If someone attacks soldiers with knives and metal poles, there's a chance they're going to die. Sometimes, stupidity is a capital offense....

9. murdomack

murdomack New Member

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Does anyone really think the Israelis waded through that melee on the deck carrying a list of names and cabins, to hunt down and murder specific sleeping passengers in their beds?

I don't. Only a fool would believe such nonsense.

11. murdomack

murdomack New Member

12. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Few interesting things to comment on, but no time. I’ll be very busy next couple of days, I’ll get back to you later during the week.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yep. That's another viewpoint, all right....:p:p:p

Why are you posting a link to a blog which pretends it's an accepted fact that the 9/11 attacks and the London subway attacks were carried out by Israel? Why would anyone with a teaspoon of common sense take it (or you) seriously?

It isn't enough just to tell me there were 600 passengers on the ships. You need to show me what those 600 passengers said that would back up such asinine claims.

14. murdomack

murdomack New Member

I posted these links to show you that others have different viewpoints to you, or to me in some cases. The previous post contained eye witness accounts from named people. I have read many such accounts in the press here.

According to Swedish author Henning Mankell, who was on board the Marmara , "the Israeli forces attacked sleeping civilians."
    "We were witnesses to premeditated murders," said historian Mattias Gardell who was on the Mavi Marmara.

I don't know who set up 9/11 or the London and Madrid bombings but they all had the same Israeli security company involved at critical points before they happened. We all have our own thoughts about these events.

15. idpnd

idpnd Junior Member

Yes, exactly, the Israelis like being on and on about the holocaust, whilst gaza is resembling the warsaw ghetto more every day..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.