Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

As long as Chuck Norris and Kickass is on our side, who worries ? I wonder how long Chuck is going to BBQ in Iceland yet... ? He must be hungry.

Who will the next WW be against ? The world has become so small with the internet at our finger tips and the whole world has basically united due to it... we now know people from all over. Maybe the ones who doesn't have internet yet ? It would be less personal and emotional getting rid of them. Blow them up with their own kid hydrogen bombs...

Oh sht.... I better go eat. Had my second warning from the wife about 5 mins ago. If I don't go NOW there will be a war that will make the next WW looks like hydrogen bomb childeren looks like childs polay. Excuse me...

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Im going to guess the Chinese will be feeling there oats before long

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Not a good idea. Most Coast Guards today have echo soundinbg devices specifically designed for finding hidden compartments. They are used mostly to find drugs but they can find any empty space.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

And speaking of pirates this was on the news yesterday

Pirates on Falcon Lake
    ESPN
    Citing several armed robberies and attempted armed robberies on Falcon Lake in Zapata County, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and the Zapata County Sheriff's Office are strongly urging boaters on Falcon Lake to stay on the United States side of the lake and not venture into Mexican (waters).....
    Three reported incidents since April 30 have raised concern among law enforcement officers in the Lake Falcon area. Two of the three incidents involved United States citizens who had gone into the Mexican side of the lake, passing the International Waters markers. Most of the incidents occurred in the Old Guerrero area, but it's possible that other areas are a concern as well.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=5207299

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You may have issues, son. Although some of what you're saying makes sense, you're spending entirely too much time dwelling on the miseries and screams of that pirate you have trapped in the cabin. You're damn near wallowing in his misfortune.

You're also wrong, if you think pirates are such spiritual, sensitive beings that they're going to abandon their evil ways just to save one of their own from the likes of you. My guess is that if anything, you'll just piss them off when you make him start screaming.

By the way, that violent maniac you mentioned couldn't have been using much of a 'high-powered' rifle. I have about a dozen old Russian bolt-action Army rifles in my collection. They fire 7.62x54R rounds; that's about the ballistic equivalent of the .30-06 round that American military rifles used, from before WWI right up to the M-14's in Vietnam. I guarandamntee that a bullet from one would go straight through the average ferro-cement yacht's hull, if it hit it at a reasonably straight angle. They'll hole an old engine block from side to side at a hundred yards, with a lead-core hunting round. As a matter of fact, I'm betting even my old lever-action Winchester .30-30 would put a hole in a normal ferro-cement sailboat, from a reasonable distance.

When the .30-06 round was still fairly new, there was a bad guy who got into a shootout with a sheriff and his posse in Arizona. He was sheltering behind a pine tree big enough to completely hide him, and ducking out to take quick potshots. The sheriff was armed with a .30-06 rifle, so he shot the S.O.B.--straight through the center of the tree.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

As I've stated in previous posts....WWII flame thrower just fire it off once and they will be long gone. A trully frightening weapon.

7. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Pirates often use older wooden boats , sometimes with gas engines. I think a molotov cocktail, or several , would give them other things to keep then busy for a while.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I've often wondered why an automated pepper spray cannon wouldn't work out pretty well

that or that quad 50 we were talking about about 1500 posts ago

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Catapult hornets' nests. Medieval but interesting to watch.

10. baboonslayer

baboonslayer Junior Member

quad 40mm Bofors!

Might be a couple hundred thousand dollars, but has epic range and destructive power!

Well, you figure the cost of the 40mm shells and the crew to operate it, not to mention the license you would probably need to own this weapon of mass destruction, might as well get a class 1 permit and buy a quad M2 Browning, aka "Meat Chopper." (like Boston mentioned above).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm

11. fastback4

fastback4 Junior Member

You said "Gerillas", not "Gorillas". Big difference!!

12. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10195838.stm

The number of pirates seem to grow....

"It happened about 40 miles (64 km) out to sea, in international waters."

That makes this an act of piracy...

There are other solutions and ways to stop a ship, with no harm to the people onboard...

13. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

These pirates are armed by, and depend on, your tax dollars for their existence. So what will their financial supporters do to deter their goonsmanship? Probably not enough. Will any of you demand we do more? Not likely.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Tell me: were you this self-rightous the last time a Palestinian suicide bomber blew up a public bus or a family restaurant in Israel? How about all the times Hamas randomly fired Qassam rockets at Israeli towns? Or back when Hamas and Fatah thugs and goons were killing each other in the streets, and blowing up each other's homes and families over who gets to control and skim the international aid pouring into Gaza? Did you write condemning blurbs when Palestinian militants abducted and murdered Christian shop owners, and blew up the Christian Youth Organization's library in Gaza City?

Will you ever demand that Egypt unseal its border with the Gaza Strip, thereby rendering Israel's blockade pointless?

Not bloody likely.

15. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Just a thought but I reckon we should keep the discussion on the water and leave lala land to those that live there.

KCKClass - no offence intended, the whole on the boat senario gas em kind of thing was good value as a plot, but I can tell you from personal experience (working with them only on their turf ) that Yemenites, Bedouin, Somalis Eritrean and other Gulf types don't play by your rules. These guys up close in hi threat situ are dangerous and unpredictable and never *******. If the're armed What ever you start with these guys be very sure you can finish.
    They have nothing to loose, compassion or care aren't in their volcabury - its a region where harsh enviroment begets harsh people with no rules or consideration.

For my money and experience dealing with the Indonesians around (Pulua/Batam/Bintan) the Straits of Malaccais probably more dangerous. If you want to find out try getting away from a motor vehicle accident involving a death and your the only expat (passenger) involved. In less than a minute a deserted road has 50 to a hundred very unhappy locals.

It gets very real very fast in some places....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.