Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

P-trap (rope in pirates prop) test.......

P-trap (rope in pirates prop) test. - Looks like a comercial but maybe it works.

(language was Dutch but I found a Enlish version and changed the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWl6Uk5Epc

Only found Dutch info so far.....

- http://www.depers.nl/economie/474316/Piraten-hebben-nu-het-nakijken.html - (Google translation)

- http://www.radio1.nl/contents/15211-nederlands-idee-wondermiddel-tegen-piraten - (Google translation)

Good luck!
    Angel

PS - This Dutch company seems not to know that this is a P-trap also :D

2. technik

technik New Member

Frosty you need to sue those guys for royalties.

This system is impressive but will only be effective for a short time. They will soon figure out how to come along side at 50m fire an rpg and demand that you retract the system.

A couple trained (or well practiced when in international waters) "shooters" + 2 x 2,000usd rifles(m14 or m1a national match) + 1,000usd ammo + night vision or infra-red scopes for night use + maybe two people on watch 24hr when in dangerous waters(helps to stay awake, one set of eyes on the radar) one active shooter(the other on standby) + customs locker.
    This seems very much cheaper and more redundant. However big companies seem more willing to pay for a device or machine than crew or worker training and improvement:( .
    Seamen will defend their ship if given the proper tools and training.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Navies could arm merchant ships from their own countries, as soon as they reach international waters, along with people trained to use them, then remove the weapons and people, as soon as they approach another country's waters. They could also do a better job of disguising their navy ships as merchant ships, or arm merchant ships to cruise these waters. Given how many times pirates have mistaken navy ships for merchant ships, that shouldn't be too hard. A coat of paint could do it.This would be perfectly legal in any international law, and wouldn't have to be done that many times, to send a clear message to pirates.

4. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Actually firearms on shipping is not a problem. Many ships do carry. You need a safe where you lock it up whilst in the waters of a 'friendly' country, and break them out when at sea.

For example, when travelling to OZ, various things are banned from being used - mostly foodstuff. So they are locked away, and when customs board the vessle - they are shown the lockup, and they apply a seal, which you can only break once outside of OZ waters.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

About bloody high time someone did something eh.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Fanie. Lots of water in Florida.

8. capt littlelegs

capt littlelegs New Member

These pirates know they're no match for the military but they also know the people controlling them are reluctant to act and so it goes on...

1 person likes this.
  9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The lack of action does seem to be a bit difficult to understand. I think we are missing something.

Why do credit cards do little to stop information interception and fraudulent use. Well !! your APR will pay for insurance and losses, and its only a small percentage that gets intercepted. Who knows what deal they have with the insurance companies.

The ships are chartered, the boxes are also owned by someone else, and as long as no one gets shot or mistreated (and the seem very careful on that point) It can carry on.

The insurance increases which we pay for, 1000 dollars a box would be sufficient on a 1000 box ship, and only a few are pirated infact its a very small percentage. A container of 100,000 Christmas trees is just 10 cents each more to ship.

But even that is way too excessive. It cant cost an extra million dollars to insure a 10 million dollar ship on one trip.

So apart from a few disgruntled crew they are making more money, and a third world country which has been a pain for many years finally gets out of its poverty and becomes less of a drain on our finances.

Hey we may be able to sell Sudan aircraft and Mercedes shortly and recoup some of our money back.

A bit far fetched you say? more than what Goldman has just done to USA and the rest of the world? Now there is piracy.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The problem is that third world countries stay poor, they just want instant gratification hence Africa what it is. All over Africa are bands who fight wars for some piece of a mine or another way to get quick money. None of them however invest any of it for any long term income, so whatever moneys they get and in any amount, it is really short term.

If you give each philamon in Africa $100 000, in a year or two they all will be as poor as before.

Thanks Hoyte, I may call on you one day, who knows. I hear the US shoots first then ask who you are... so I may have to double the mast as a white flag pole and call the media first ;)

Seems every one is out to get the soft and easy targets (public) for their easy money instead of taking the hardened criminals on who aparently can do what they want because of the money and power involved.

A hardened criminal is not oly ones with guns, like Frosty indicated criminals comes in all forms. They seems civilized, but just look at what happens as a result.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

12. kckclass

kckclass Guest

Simplicity is usually best

There are many ways to deal with pirates. We had a violent maniac in our harbor for 3 years and several of us were helping county, state and federal agents nail this guy - finally did - in the process he fired high power rifle at my boat on 3 occasions in the middle of the night. Concrete is a pretty good defense against that and concrete boats are cheap and rather durable to say the least - still my favorite material - just wish I could get Oyster to use it (heh heh) - and I'd be set. To this day the finest boat that has ever been in our harbor - best systems all around - was ferro.

Onward:

If the pirates have a 50 caliber your hull ain't gonna stop it. The good news is if they are heavily armed and murderous (not just out for a quick cash-hit and some booze), they probably want the boat and don't want holes in it, so its unlikely they'll fill the boat with holes - especially if one of their crew is stuck inside. A good method is a solid kick-proof campanionway hatch that can be controlled from the bow. They board - duck to the bow - watch one (on camera) enter the open campanionway - then trigger the hatch - ka-boom - yer inside now pal - pump it full of NO2 and they drop - face down and out in under 10 seconds - its called a hostage and almost guarantees they won't start firing rounds into the hull. Its especially nice if they brought you a gun to seize.

This buys you time and if you secure your hostage - gives you a bit of leverage as well - especially if you speak their language and are willing to make a man scream a bit. I grew up in East L.A. so that part of the equation isn't really a problem for me. For some it may be difficult - but hey - whatever floats your boat.

Then there are the 3 - 5 bums outside in your cockpit that want you dead. Boats sittin in seawater are rather easy to rig for copious production of hydrogen - which will pretty much scatter the rats from the cockpit after 5 seconds on the electrolyzer to create the gas - then a flick of the pizzo unit. Total cost - less than $100 bucks - and its not like you sprayed the cockpit with a liquid flammable - the gas goes up - the flame is invisible - but sure enough when their hair and clothing are on fire you can guarantee the majority of them are gonna be jumping in the water in a hurry.

That leaves 1 or 2 on deck trying to figure out how to crack the hatches - once again - if the screaming man is telling his mates to get lost - they'll leave - if not - get him to scream and beg - making a man scream isn't hard really. Ask any teenage son - they'll show you how. Most wives know how instinctively.

So - here you are - stuck down below - a bunch of scorched pissed off pirates boarding their boat (probably not yours) and the guys on deck getting the message and getting off while they regroup.

Next message to have your friend pass on (assuming you speak the language) - get lost and your friend lives and won't go to jail - stick around and he's gonna be screaming a whole lot more. A little more begging and screaming by your hostage and there's a chance - slim as it is - that they will split and leave him to fend for himself.

Plan B: instead of using NO2 - when electrolyzed, seawater produces copious amounts of hydrogen (for the cockpit fireworks) - and chlorine. Having worked on naval ships any gas - like CO2 - in a confined space is bad. But if you're in the bow with positive ventilation - and 3 - 5 of these creeps are rummaging around down below (welcome rats - enjoy the galley - please) then when the hatch slams shut and you push the button you've got a pile of bodies in under 30 seconds - if not less. Wait 3 minutes while the few up on deck are trying to kick in your kick proof hatch - (not likely to shoot or use grenades with their pals locked down below) - and then air out the boat - won't help the dead ones much - then push the button - open the hatch - and let the next batch of mice in. They'll see their friends, might think they are just passed out etc. - and you can repeat the process.

At no time did you have to use gunpowder - the magic substance that causes police dogs to tell their government owners to rip your boat apart.

Plan C: got hydrogen? Great - rigging a large 40MM cannon that can take out darn near anything is rather simple - and small 1/4 oz fishing weights make great shot - absolutely - the longer the barrel the better and its unlikely anyone is going to want to come too close with that sort of spray.

The problem with that is range - their guns can out distance you and if you piss them off, they're likely to get just out of your range - and start filling your boat with holes. So personally, I'd prefer to rig the gas methods - cheaper too - and then once they've left the vessel you can always whack their boat at close range with the "rotating Davit" that sprays lead - has no gun powder associated with it and is likely to pass any boat inspection without being detected as a cannon. Sort of depends on your engineering skills. A friend of mine from Vietnam was a 'Arms Master' or some such title and showed me 50 ways to make rifles and shotguns out of next to nothing. Add hydrogen gas and you've got woof. Growing up in East L.A. I saw plenty of 1 shot zip guns - and there are plenty of ways to create a multi-fire cannon you can utilize while tucked in the bow.
    Yeah - its a pain. Yeah - for some folks its not worth risking a false gas trigger, flame broiling your cocktail guests (no Helen - that was NOT the toilet switch you pressed) - or accidentally knocking out all your guests with NO2 - although I do know a few pirates who might want to do just that.

Plan D: John, his wife and son were off the West Coast of Columbia. He used the "stash the gun" method and had a small rifle - good scope. When they were tailed for 2 days by some scragly looking fellers John and his son went out on the stern and started releasing balloons, waiting until they were good and far away - then popping them with the rifle to demonstrate they had the distance thing down pat. The scragly fellers left rather quickly.

That said - not sure if I'd want to carry gun powder - there are ways to mask that but if you're caught in the wrong place with the wrong firearms you're homeless in a blink.

I like hydrogen cannons - I've made small ones (with kids actually) and they work well. Nearly every sailor has used a potato cannon (hope so), so the technology really isn't brain surgery - the fuel is legal (yup) and easy to make (unlimited as long as the boat is on water - go figure) and that just leaves the amount of fishing buck shot you can carry. That plus the right gas (choose between knock-out or kill) and a kick-proof campanionway with a little automated selenoid (not hard to rig at all) and you've got game they've never seen before - and that adds to the fun and your advantage.

Impractical? Perhaps for some folks - but for sadistic murderous creeps like me - who went straight at age 20 - pirates aren't a threat - they are an amusing afternoon waiting to happen and if I was a cannibal, I'd have lunch for for a party of 10 for several days after the event and five new shrunken heads for the bow sprit - now THERE'S a message for Pirates....hmmmm...I may have to edit this post again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Wow..................

Hey the next WW can come..................no worries!

..now we have kickass on our side.

did I spell the name right?

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I kinda liked it

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well, I think one can always have the boom serve it's second function as a cannon. It's long enough to be accurate too.

Then there's the mast. If you shoot the bomb up straight by the time it comes down the pirates should be right under it.

Why would they follow you for days at end ? Pirates have scrawney appearance ? Half the sailors I seen looks scrawney, weathered and should probably be put down, just in case then. It's only in the new boat adds where the sailors wear a suit and tie.

I have to admit this sounds like a good idea to me, especially some people's kids can be made into hydrogen bombs for all I care. I bet it's the teeth doing the most damagage when they tear into you... aparently dental plaque is very poisenous. That placue on the tooth is going to kill you very quickly if it gets into the brain for instance.

Wow ! The forum's first near-canibal :eek: I'm sure pirates aren't a treat, they probably smell and will be a ******* to clean properly for cooking.

I wonder if all canibals are sadistic murderous creeps... I'm sure the more gentle ones wait patiently around for their meal to die piecefully, of natural causes ?

Boy, you went straight early. Some still having problems deciding between guys and wiemen even at old age. If you say straight, which did you decide on, guys or galls :confused:

LMAO. We need some alternative entertainment other than fishing once in a while. Be good to do something else every other afternoon than just boring fishing or sailing. Having fun with pirates sounds about perfect...

I know them !! They have neve been to Luanda and neither have I, so I must know them. How the hell are they ? They still have the small gun with the good scope ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.