Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technik

technik New Member

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Bang bang, they shot you down - and there are not many ports in the world that you could visit, socially or to get repairs to boat and body, . . . . with that or any sort of significant weaponry on board...

Go on, try get a visa and declare your ship has significant weaponry on board... a fool and his brain are also soon parted...

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks Daniel,

yes, Internet was working all the time, but I was sailing for 5 weeks.....silent times.

To topic:

getting the allied Navy forces up with their bums seems the only real solution to me.

Regards
    Richard

4. technik

technik New Member

Glass it into the hull somewhere. One rifle 20 loaded mag = less than 2 cubic feet. Hack open when in dangerous waters only, clean area glass back in, paint,etc.

Unless they randomly cut your boat until they find something or hapen to have a portable back skatter x-ray machine I think you should be okay. Of course make some form fitted foam blocks to give the whole package a clean profile and place it in an area that has good reason for metal reinforcment(metal detectors are easily available).

I would think anyplace that has proper customs practices also has safe waters.

5. technik

technik New Member

6. technik

technik New Member

P.S.

Getting repairs is only a consideration if you survive.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

technik. You can remove your double posts. It is easy. Go to edit and click on delete.

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Being technic has its own limitation :D
    Don't pay attention, just kidding :p

Daniel

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

the basic Eigis system with quad 50s and radar controlled targeting would be the way to go on these large cargo ships

some on the bridge could authorize the fire command and after that its pretty much a done deal

system could be disabled for entering ports of call

nobody is walking through quad 50s in a dingy and surviving it

10. ScottK

ScottK Landlubber

Non Leathal Defense

Here's a link to some Paintballs filled with Capsicum. http://www.nelsonpaintball.com/less_lethal.html

I realize that these are non lethal, and the bad guys will have real guns, but man it would be fun spraying down the bad guys with a automatic paintball gun. It hurts like hell to get hit with one, and these paintballs are even weighted to cause more pain. A Tippmann with a Flatline barrel can shoot 300'.

ScottK

11. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

All that is REQUIRED is a Certified Customs Locker, that can be Sealed upon entering Port, and UnSealed upon clearing Port... via UN Conventions on High Seas Navigation... Do you think Visiting Military Vessels throw their small arms overboard, every time they enter a port? Most Commercial Shipping already have one Designed in, when built.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And if you don"t have a safe, you simply hand them over to the armaments section of the country or the police. The only problem is a bit of paper work.

Ive done it many times.

I have walked out of the armaments and down the street In Singapore with a security guard of 16 years old and we got a Taxi. I had a Remington Pump and a 22 with a bag of ammunition. Amazing.

The common arrival document has an arms section to declare weapons.

Its not difficult, its just the expense of the security guard and taxis, Oh and the security guard was only needed to collect from the armaments and not to take them!! go figure.

Because of this most Yachties dont declare , don't talk about them, deny having any --at all-- but many have.

13. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...many have what Frosty.....

14. masalai

masalai masalai

I am aware of a "reported case" where sealing in a "customs locker" may not apply - unluckily the victim was the wrong boat similar to the weapons carrying but had no weapons...

15. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...every boat that I have used OS has had a customs locker and we have never had any problems with that, but in some places (as Frosty says), you do have to send the firearms off to the local police till you leave, others let you keep them locked away.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.