Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

Do you have a link to the ‘‘Pirates? - What pirates?’’ article for us?

(or a copy or scan of it?)

Cheers!
    Angel

2. masalai

masalai masalai

All I can suggest is "Buy the Magazine" as they are somewhat retarded in the web publishing arena... Basically redefining what is piracy and going through local examples to assert they are not really "piracy" - does not cover the "Somali experiences"...

For the present to get out of the Atlantic
    a) Wait for the northern passage to open - if you have faith and believe in Global warming...
    b) Go via Panama whilst you can... The Pacific and East Indian Oceans make a large playground...

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good idea. Maybe some broken bottles would be good, as the boardingladders would get slick with blood, chumming the water at the same time.

4. hoytedow

Dry your tears, Angel. Keep a stiff upper lip. Africa can be saved too, but not under the current regimes.
    I can't stand to see a woman cry.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Tough talk from behind your desk, but would you do so when there is a rocket launcher aimed at your bridge?

No, that's to British for me. :) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (And even not al the British are like that)

I like your new sig ‘‘Boni pastoris est tondere pecus, non deglubere’’ only it doesn't go with the picture, that can't be a good shepherd..!!

PS - I saw you've replaced the croc image for a just shorn sheep, that's better..!!

Cheers!
    Angel

6. hoytedow

Ok, keep a stiff lower lip.:)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A Veagra under the tounge should do it

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Be most interested in your plan. We can't even save ourselved here :D

Couple of sharp shooters take the boats out before they get into range. No need for violence.

9. RHP

RHP Senior Member

These are tough times for pirates, President Obama has just signed an Executive Order that among other things effectively blocks ramson etc. payments by US Citizens.

As you may know the Maritime trade (vessel owners and hull and cargo insurers) has been divided in response to Piracy. This order coalesces the sentiment against treating ransom as an operating expense to shared like a rise in fuel costs, and the ethical problems of 'private navies'.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/executive-order-concerning-somalia

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/message-congress-concerning-somalia

Spare a thought for the poor pirates, if business dips they´ll be claiming benefits soon.... :cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. masalai

masalai masalai

hehehe, well said

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Most ships fly the flag of convenience like Panama.

Ie, they are Panamanian!!

Not being able to transfer money to a third party without bank permission is nothing new at all,---at all. (im not talking gas or electric bills)

Legitimate increase in running costs! Sure,-- you and I are paying for it.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

boiling fish oil
    its even environmentally friendly

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Do you fancy breaking all those thousands and thousands of capsules, boil, and risk being shot at by the other crew on the "pirate ship"??? That is if you wake up in time to prepare all that "welcoming stuff"...

:D :eek: :D :eek: :p :p :eek: :D

Why did I post - - Don't answer, - - - - - It was A rhetorical question...

Why not have a DELICIOUS curry or something appreciated in that region, laced with something GUARANTEED to give a very severe case of Diarrhoea to the boarding pirates...

14. technik

technik New Member

Ding. Ding.
    Fanie nailed it.
    The way I see it the best most resonable way to solve this problem is to deter an attack before they come into range. This can be done with sustained precision fire before they enter their wepons range. My weapons choices would be m1a (civilian version of M14 rifle, 7.62 mm NATO,max effective range 800m,click adj. Range calibrated iron sights) or if you want something cheaper and in all stainless construction: ruger mini-14 (basically a reduced size and complexity copy of the above,available in three calibers 7.62 ak,6.8spc,5.56 NATO, ranges 250,600,400m, this rifle is also available as a straight pull bolt action(they remove the gas system for export where semi-auto is prohibited,aslo in. .222 rem which is almost the same as 5.56 but a non military cartrige). Both of these rifles have 5,10,20 rd detachable magazines and can be fitted into a wood stock. 5rd flush fitting magazine and wood stock looks like a hunting rifle,"what that old thing I use that to kill sharks,if I catch any"

Now for the useage the target has to be identified via radar or visually as soon as possible say 1000m out min. Then load 20rd mag,fire about 1rd per sec. one of their little boats will be a small target at that range but don't worry it'll get bigger just maintain your rate of fire(near misses will have strong effect).

To understand why this will work you have to put yourselves in their position. small boat bouncing all over the place,inaccurate weapons,never fired at somthing that far away,and prbably can't even clearly see the person shooting at you anyway. What would you do?

They need to be well inside of 300m to have any hope of hiting a person laying prone and that's for expert users of their weapons(see previous posts in this thread) ie russian special forces or something. All you have to do is keep firing at a target the size of a station wagon.

I would sugest no less than 10 loaded 20rd mags or 200rds or 3min 20sec of sustained precision fire.

15. technik

technik New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.