Whaler squall restoration! help!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gjames017, Jun 29, 2007.

1. gjames017

gjames017 Junior Member

Okay guys so what we have here is an older boston whaler squall. It looks like it is in pretty bad shape, but not beyond repair. I have never restored a boat like this before (I have built a wooden dinghy) so all suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. I really dont even know where to start! Thanks!
    oh yea and here is the link for the pictures:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/336884918.html

Thanks!

2. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

This is one of my favorite boats. I have one that has been in our family for forty years. I plan to restore mine when I can find the time.

The pictures do not clearly show what needs to be done. If possible, take pictures of the fiberglass damage. The gelcoat on the hull of my Squall has crazed to the point where it will be necessary to sand it off completely. I will then spray it with a vinylester primer and then re-gelcoat it. The gelcoat on the inner liner is in good condition however.

Although time consuming, this work is not too difficult.

3. gjames017

gjames017 Junior Member

thanks for the response, as soon as I go to pick it up, I will take some more pictures of the damaged areas. I plan to resell this, how much do you think I can get for it?

4. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

A lot of factors depend on what you can get for the boat. A Squall in very good condition might fetch $1,000. If you are looking at this as a ways to make money, just remember that you will be putting in hours of elbow grease to get the boat in satisfactory condition. Also, you will need to spend a few dollars for materials. If you are looking at this project to get some experience working with boats and fiberglass, that is a different story.

Another thing to remember is that there is foam between the inner liner and hull. If the fiberglass was punctured, there is a good chance that the foam absorbed water. I have never done a repair on this type of construction, and you may want to ask around for some advice on this.

5. gjames017

gjames017 Junior Member

thanks, ill try to get some pictures of the damage when I actually get it, Im buying it for 75 dollars, so its not that big of an investment (for the boat)

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

With boats it seems the less money you pay the more it costs. Sam

7. gjames017

gjames017 Junior Member

this is true...but Im going to look at it today, so if I see any serious damage to it, I wont even bother.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.