Dealers markups

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by k76, Aug 28, 2007.

1. k76

k76 Junior Member

I'm looking into the feasibility of producing a small'ish sailboat. I've got a fair idea of what the retail price will have to be if I'm going to sell anything, and I'm working my way through the production costs. If I'm going to be able to sell any number of boats I need to sell through dealers, and they obviously want a cut. Anyone got an idea of what they will accept? Any tips on how to handle them? I'll talk to them in due time of course, if I decide to proceed.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I am guessing at 40% of the retail price.
    It's normal that the sales person earn more money than the designer and the manufacturer :)

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Discount structures are established from retail price, which is almost never gotten. Even a deep discount to a dealer of, say, 80%, may leave the dealer with little incentive. He in turn may have to discount 60% to make a profit.
    Therefore, forget about discount structures except as a way to reward dealers who buy a lot of boats at once.
    Ask yourself what the boat will realistically sell for and figure on grossing half of that. You may do much better or worse. To a dealer, a hot-selling boat is worth making only 10% on, but a slow-selling boat isn't worthwhile as an investment unless the payoff is much bigger, say, 60%.
    Your talent in efficiently producing a hot-selling boat is what determines, in the end, how much you make per boat. Dealers pay different percentages and there's no hard and fast rule, just the law of supply and demand.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.