Dead light snobery?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by clodgo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Thank you sir for the history lesson - very much appreciated... Bregalia is still absent???

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

I think Berg may have upped his skirt and shot through!

(always thought he sounded fairly intellegent)

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Murdo, thats as maybe but over a couple of hundred years being fine young men I'm sure many of them got amongst the local ladies as it were, no doubt this produced several babies, again as they grow older, etc these become ancestors! Now go read my post again!

and were not the isles men of Irish descent? Aye yer a mixed bag for sure, marked by only one thing -yer all Fe.......

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

As Murdo reminded us ... the Irish who became the Scots thrived fighting the English/Sassenachs, and those Scots later went back and aided their Irish cousins (And yes, over the centuries there was much intermingling among the lads and lassies, as the dividing sea is quite narrow, and winds blew oft agin the poor fisher lads, forcing them to put ashore for R & R wherever they could :)). Aye, a mixed bag for sure, all we have in common is that we're all far more handsome than the English. :D :D

5. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Charlie

I wouldn't just say that "all we have in common is that we're all far more handsome than the English."but, well, your right about that bit anyway:D :p ;) .

There has been some interesting DNA research done recently. The English and Lowland Scots are predominantly Saxon (Sassenach) except for pockets of Danish ancestry on the East Coast which also goes up into the East of Scotland. Ireland is predominantly Celtic with traces of Norwegian, as is the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. When you get to the Lews (Lewis and Harris) the people are nearly all from Norwegian stock and obviously the same applies to the Northern Isles.
    This research proves that Walrus is wrong when he says that the Isles men were all from Irish descent and coincidentally the people from these Norwegian areas have never been Fe....... as he puts it, although they speak and live as Celts in the Lews. I can't recall what they said about the Cornish area, probably all "white settlers" from the smoke (London):D :D

Another interesting fact that I have heard from people who travel throughout the Celtic areas, singers and musicians mostly, is that a Gaelic speaker from the Northern Hebrides can converse easier with a Southern Irish Gaelic speaker than he can with someone from the North of Ireland and that Gaelic speakers from the North of Ireland better understand people from the Southern Hebrides. This shows that the Saxon wedge of Ulster served its purpose in more ways than one, by splitting the Celtic nations and culture. They were masters of genocide.

Murdo

6. safewalrus

there are two families of the Celtic Nation, the interbred Northern ones formed by the ruffians who speak Gaelic (Scots) Erse (Irish) and Manx (isle of Mann) And the more sophisticated and culteral Southern ones who speak Welsh (Wales) Breton (France) and Kernow (Cornish)!

It is interesting to note that at one time the secular Erse were more Christian than the Papist lot from Rome, which of course was their undoing, as the Papists did not care who they destroyed as long as they got their way - nothing much changes there then, however as this is now touching on the depth of a long and often vicious religious war (still ongoing despite various assurances from certain politicians, who only wish to line their own nests) may I suggest that we stop there because any further will draw out unwanted aggresive actions!

And Murdo I thank you for your appreciation of the abilities of the Anglo-Saxon along the lines of genocide! which of course moves on unabated wheresoever they settle! Even unto the New World! Enough whilst you may!!

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Anybody for tennis?

Deck quoits then?

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

hello

Whats this thread about then?

Can I dribble on it?

It looks dribble so far.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Yer deadlights, so keep em shut, they is not supposed to be open else they is not deadlights but port lights? so sayeth Charmc... after analysing the depate...

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Errrm ,--just a thought but if they are shut wont they be shutlights.

I have seen so called modern catamarans with hatches such as Lewmar etc inside the hull about 1 foot off the water.

?????!!!!!! You must be bloody joking. If one of those plastic hatches glue comes apart it will sink faster than you can say,"turn the bilge on"

Stupid Idea or what? have you seen them?

11. masalai

masalai masalai

The absolute wisdom of bureaucrats again - to "race" the boat must be fitted with one on each hull for access when arse up - so "Don't build to race"...

If raided by pirates or maritime authorities makes a neat escape hatch - but a Bloody long way to swim...

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its a 2 foot square bloody hole in your boat, a foot of the water line??

In a storm the hull will be banging and thrashing through the sea. If one of those plastic glued in( and they are glued in ) hatches comes open, its all over.

I don't think they were even made for such abuse.

Escape from the bottom of the boat?? Some one been watching the "Posedin adventure". Who thinks this up? a 5 year old?

I think it just -just - Oh,-- there ive just kicked the dog.

13. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Yes port lights, nothing to do with port as in port, or port and starboard, but as in porte an opening in FRENCH, God, I've done it again:D
    Sorry about going off track so much earlier:cool:

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Remember that guy in the "Build a boat, do a lap" thread? His homebuilt tri had a homemade escape hatch half underwater when he began his voyage. You can argue the merits or lack thereof of a costly engineered hatch near the waterline, but a homemade one below the waterline is downright suicidal. Maybe more evidence for Darwin's theory? :D :D

15. safewalrus

Maybe he just wanted a swinning pool - in the right weather he'd have one!! Whoops!