dc water pumps

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dick, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dick

dick Junior Member

I fitted 2 Whale pressure pumps one for freshwater and the other deckwash the freshwater pump leaked internally and rusted out the bearings and the saltwater pump leaks at the gasket join and i cannot seal it they have both been in the boat less than 6 months and only used on the occasional trips I have only clocked up 120 engine hours and do not live aboard,I want to replace them with good quality long life pumps can anybody make any recomendations I was thinking of trying Johnson or Jabsco?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have a few too . I admit that I have pulled them apart on a number of occasions . You can buy kits. If you overtighten they will distort. Thats the main reason they fail,--that and the micro switch cut out and that is a electric shop 3 dollar part.

But no I cant recommend any particular model.

The triple diaphragm water pressure is not a good choice of a deck wash , you need and impellor pump.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

It doesn't really matter which brand name is on the label, just go for the cheapest one.

This summer I purchased a small "Flojet" pump for $140. Based on the name and packaging I would have sworn it was a US product, but the pump body said "Made in China".
    Last week I bought another pump named Europump-4, an identical product distributed by an Italian company Osculati, for $35.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Those litttle pumps give good service. Are they installed corectly ?

Fresh water systems need a surge tank to keep the pump from cycling everytime you use water. Bigger the better.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.