DC propulsion

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DGreenwood, Nov 29, 2004.

1. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I know this topic has been batted around elsewhere in this forum but I thought I would point out the article in the latest Pro Boatbuilder mag concerning this topic. I spent some time at this years IBEX checking out what was available. My impressions previously were that this was still a bit of a fringe technology that was still a long way from having any real market impact....Wrong! I am a convert.
    Glacier Bay, Panda and Solomon Tech are commiting some major funds to R&D and seeing some improvements in efficency worth the development time. Not to mention the advantages in boat handling and powering other onboard equipment. I have a feeling this is going somewhere.

2. 60minmacd

60minmacd Junior Member

electric propulsion

I agree these companies are making great progress. However it will be some time before the price comes down to a decent level for most people. But it will come down.
    Meanwhile, the rest of us will have to make do, using what we can from the electric car people. And they are spinning off a lot of useable stuff for us boaters.

3. hoffdavi@compor

hoffdavi@compor New Member

Electric Propulsion

Has anyone looked at the Duffy electric boats? They run approximately 8 to 10 mph and can operate for about 6 to 8 hours between charges. (I think) They do take a long time to recharge though.

I have been trying to design an electric propulsion system for a catamaran for months. I have heard a lot of nay sayers and "it will never work" a lot. The Pro Boatbuilders article in the Dec/Jan edition sounds like hope is on the way.

4. 60minmacd

60minmacd Junior Member

hoffdavi,
    Keep plugging away. With the components available today, off-the-shelf, you can just about build any electric drive you can think of.

I've been working on one for about six months now and I see no problems in making it happen. Just takes time.

I am building a model first. Cheaper to take the kinks out there first than in a full size boat.

John

5. fribb

fribb New Member

DC propulsion is most efficient if it is based on fuel-cells and superconducting homopolar motors. All members, who are interested in electric propulsion should visit my homepage

6. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Actually they go about 6kt, but they do run for 6-8 hours. The top of the line model has a genset for unlimited range (as long as the fuel lasts). Recharging takes overnight, but most people are done boating for the day after 6-8 hours, with a boat like this.

Duffies certainly have a great track record. Over 1000 have been plying the waters of Newport Beach, CA, for the last 30 years or so, and who knows how many elsewhere. I've often thought they'd be great for South Carolina -- are they selling well down there?

Electric launches have been used successfully for over 100 years.

For a smallish displacement boat used for only a few hours at a time, nothing beats electric propulsion.

I've always wanted to build a solar-powered Duffy. It might take all week to recharge, but that would still be plenty for the number of hours per week it would likely be used.

--

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.