Bottom Paints and Coatings

Discussion in 'Materials' started by NewTech, Jan 20, 2016.

1. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum and would like to start a discussion on the topic of bottom coatings, specifically new Eco Friendly coatings. I will say up front I am in the business of selling and distributing marine coatings. With that said I want to make it clear I'm not posting here to try and sell you my coating! My intention with this thread is to share information, thoughts, experiences and raise awareness to the environmental concerns that effect all of us as boaters today.

I'm vary interested to hear about the new high tech coatings your looking at. Please share the products that you have found and your questions. I would be happy to share my coatings line with anyone interested just send me a message or email an I will send you a link to my company.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you

1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How is the paint that releases Hydrogen Peroxide working? I read some reports a couple of years ago and then nothing.

3. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

I'm not sure I haven't heard anything about it. I will do some research an see what I can come up with. The industry is evolving in so many ways it's hard to keep up with, this is why I wanted to start this conversation.

Have you heard of Duplex its by Fuji films America and also sold by Sherwin Williams as Sure Release it's a food grade silicone it's soft but is lasting 12+ years. One of the boat yards in the NW is offering a product called Sea Slide it's SUPER slick and lasts a season.

I found ePaint Ecominder Antifouling Bottom Paint It's a Interlux product no reviews on it yet and I haven't seen anyone using it in my area, from what I read it sound good but how long will it last is the big question.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

5. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

I've heard of Akzo Nobel they are a chemical manufacture and make additives for many things. Do you know what the application tools are an what they might coast? I tremble in my boots at the cost of some application equipment! A company call Castragra has a low coast product but to apply it you need a 100K spray setup.

Do you know who is using there additive?

6. schakel

I haven't used NOXOL or Everplus. I used only chloor rubber antifouling from them.
    It can be aplied with a simple roller. Sanding is a problem, and bad for your lungs. I had to use press air masks while sanding. And those mask are expensive.

Spraying mostly gives the best result but be sure you clean the pump and nozzles very thouroghly after use. And, don't forget, you are spraying toxic mist, so protect your lungs.

7. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

chloor rubber antifouling is that a sikkens product called Jachlak?
    I know what you mean supplied air respirators are not cheep! How long did it last?

8. schakel

I had to apply it every year and even then; before every race I had to scrub it.
    sikkens chloor rubber.jpg
    Chloor rubber is replaced by this:
    international-interspeed-antifouling-nautic-gear.jpg
    http://www.nauticgear.nl/techniek-a...ing/antifouling-international-interspeed.html

Another player besides International in europe is Epifanes.
    http://www.rbyachtcleaning.nl/epages/64379442.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectID=8404739&ViewAction=ViewFaceted&FacetValue_CategoryID=8404739

Sorry sites are in dutch. You can get the translation at the google translate site.

9. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

One year is a really short life span. International paints are big all over the world they are a major player here in the US. I work with a ton of boat / ship yards that use them.

Have you ever looked into 100% echo friendly coating Non toxic no heavy metal non ablative?

Part of my job is ti introduce new coast effective echo friendly coating systems to the world. I was supersized to learn that even the so called green coatings are ablative and use different toxic chemicals to make the environment inhospitable to marine life if not outright kill it. Here on the west coast of the US the laws are changing and many boat owners have no clue even the boat yards don't seem to be fully informed. Us recreational boaters seem to be kinda in the dark, we only buy the products the big chemical manufactures hawk us. When in reality they only give us two choices heavy metals or poison! Neither is a good choice for the environment we all love so much. Please don't get me wrong I'm not a environmental activist but rather a environmental advocate. I not only deal with coatings but also storm water reclamation, spill containment and offshore oil spill remediation. So far in this thread I'm learning that we don't seem to give much thought to the big picture of how we as recreational boaters impact the oceans and waterways we enjoy so much and how we can solve the problem of marine fouling without killing it, reduce the cost of boat maintenance / ownership and leave the environment better than we got it for future generations. Sorry for the rant.

I would like to propose the questions of what do we know about Fouling Release systems verses Anti fouling? Bottom coatings that last 5 years to forever? Increase speed and decrease fuel consumption? While being 100% harmless to marine life and humans.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is an excess of sanding and powerwashing bottoms. I see no need to redo them every season, unless you are a very competitive racer. One of my boats is a 1977 O'Day 27 I got as part payment on a job. It had old alligatored bottom paint of unkown age. It is probably Pettit ablative. I haven't redone it in five years and it does not grow more algae than boats with new paint. This is in Lake Michigan where the zebra muzzles grow on you if you don't swim fast enough.

11. NewTech

NewTech Junior Member

LOL!! The Zebra Mussel Is one evil creature!! They have not made it to the NW yet thank god. There are several coatings that prevent them from being able to stay attached. They work by curing to a surface void of microscopic holes that allows them adhere, they still grow but can easily be removed without pressure washing or even the need to haul out.

12. groper

groper Senior Member

I'm looking to use one of these fouling release coatings on my boat which is almost ready to launch... I'm finding it quite difficult to get information on what is available and none of the usual suppliers carry anything but the usual biocide type coatings.... Seems the recreational industry and even light commercial industry hasn't embraced these new technologies... I'm worried they either don't work, or is it too expensive, or is it just hasn't happened yet?
    If anyone has any recommendations please let us know...

13. schakel

There is a thin line between anti fouling and water polution.
    The weaker the anti-fouling the better for the environment.
    Have you seen what field of study stands right to my avatar? Right .. environmental.

The most environmental friendly solution is mostly not the cheapest nor the most economical or practical solution.
    Except when it comes to reycling.Waste into resources is very effective.
    You earn money on both waste disposal and creating new resources.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Marinas and other marine services convince their customers that boats need to be powerwashed and sanded every year. Many of my customers don't believe me when I tell them it is unnecessary.

15. schakel

Go and have a look when they are powerwashed. As long as algae and barnacles comes of, it's neccessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.