Reversable sailboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hugh Piercy, Sep 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hugh Piercy

Hugh Piercy New Member

Good day, all
    I'm over on the big island of Hawaii and I was out at Kohala Harbor today walking about. This interesting rig caught my eye. Could you guys help me identify it and supply any information you have to hand? I am speculating that it is a "non-tacking outrigger design" as I have never seen anything like it before. It has two roller furling jibs, one at each end of the vessel, a very small main sail and I believe two rudders, one at each end but hung off the side. Both the hull and the outrigger are double ended. If it works like I think it does, do you sail her with the outrigger to windward or to leward?
    I will try to locate the owner to get a bit of history on it.

Attached Files:

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Hugh
    Welcome to the forum.

It is a proa. There is quite a large fan base in this forum. "Hary Proa" is probably the most recent thread.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

4. Waterwitch

Waterwitch Senior Member

The outrigger called an ama is to windward. You fly the Ama sailing.

5. Hugh Piercy

Hugh Piercy New Member

Thanks for all of your replies. It's not often I find a new (for me) concept at my age. And it's always fascinating to see the way designers and engineers solve the problems of stability, drag, and strength.
    Best regards,
    Hugh Piercy

6. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

We proa designers call proas that change direction like that "shunters". They are the dominant type of sailing outrigger throughout Micronesia, Kiribati and Fiji. Hawaiian sailing canoes tack in the normal way as they do in French Polynesia.

alan craig likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.