Damn wife won't sail...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Ok so my wife freezes as my little canvas flyer rolls over a bit...

She does like motoring about with the Evinrude on calm sunny bits while staying close to the shore...

I like (love at times) my wife... :)

I like sailing...

I cannot afford two boats in one (ie: that bloody motorsailer that cuts my craw)...

I live in Vancouver Canada - lots of cold to the bone rain in the winter...

OK - how about a little O/B power putter with full cover from the above...

That and an old sailing dinghy at the public marina to keep me 'fresh' - hehe...

Right - make any sense - I feel like I have failed my religion and submitted to a brunette devil... :)

YUP - what thoughts on the muck below...

SH.

Attached Files:

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Sean
    Pretty damn cool. Reminiscent of Sam Devlins Surf Scoter or the bigger one ( can't remember what it's called). What kind of construction?
    Hey with all the great places you have to go up there I think it is a great idea. Lets face it, the wind and weather there aren't all that cooperative for sailing in open cockpits. You going to put a dink on the top or make it shallow enough to nose up to the beach?
    You know demons come in many hair colors...but I have learned that the devil can be comprimised with.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Sean,

This style of boat has much appeal to me. Some examples you might look at are Tom’s Blue Jacket, or maybe Jay Benford’s #244. Ted Brewer’s Deer Isle 24 would look nice as a flat top and I think Tad has a nice efficient design about that size. As much as I like them they are a rare sight on the water. If you want make the wife happy on the water devote sufficient room for the WC.

Gary :D

4. Sean Herron

So much Whiskey...

Hello...

Duluth - and others, thanks for all your bits - must admit I pulled the first drawings from www.cmdboats.com ...

Below is a 'render' of previous but all made 'plumb' for easy build - also a lame crane on a bulkhead position for an 8 foot pram or other - something I can sail - hehe... :)

I like where this is going - I tend to flatten the curves but that is me...

SH.

Attached Files:

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

quite nice, with a quick restyle it cound be very attractive. Perhaps a little less freeboard and some aft rake on the front of the cabin. Personally, though, I wouldn't bother with a rig on it, it will be more hassle than it's worth. Of course, we have to remember why we started seeing the brunette devil in the first place... when did the sailing creep in?

Good Luck,

Tim B.

6. Sean Herron

Straight up..

Hello...

I would not plant a dinghy on a boom - it is a silly mess - where this boat will run there are shallow grade sand beaches where - after dropping the hook you jump in up to your knees and go get a coffee from the Parks Board stall...

I personally prefer the plumb stem and cabin construction and straight run of the coaming lines aft - I have seen many older ELCO like cruisers that are really no more than a glass box in a hull - albeit all their glass panes were heavily bevelled and leaded - New York bank and newspaper owners...

This is my boat - for the west coast - it is just a phantom of my imagination and future application...

It will be - yes - a 'beach tucker' - a 'dry camp boat' - a 'BBQ on the dock boat' - per Duluth I will beef up (lengthen) the head and shower - old tongue and groove headliners painted white against laminated teak and yellow fir beaming (holly fake) - lots of polished stainless poles - and a full canvas enclosure...

Heavily insulated - that much I have learned... :)

Thanks

I am excited...

SH.

7. OrionsSword

OrionsSword i dont know

suggestion: cat or tri, relatively stable, fast, fun and most deffinetly a stable boat, which is what i sence your wife doesn't like.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Very nice Sean. When you get into the devil's details, several things are going to pop up though. I've hear it rains sometimes in the Northwest and that cockpit is not self draining. Getting full head room in a 22 foot boat is not so easy unless it is a displacement boat with bilge. Which speaking of, the head looks like it requires a holding tank, And then there is fuel and water and where they are going to be put. And you gotta have an anchor well and work out out of the forward hatch. And getting that much berth width at the forward end calls for a pretty fat hull shape. And no way can you have all that mast and dingy on a light boat so it has to be heavier displacement and etc., etc. But hey, you gotta start somewhere and that's where the fun really is.

Mark van Abema's 20 footer that he designed for his dad is more like yours than either Sam's or mine or CMD's.

9. Sean Herron

A few more tweaks...

Hello...

I still dont mind the freeboard - would be a bit hairy at the dock in a breeze - but so is anything...

Narrow side decks for going to pullpit...

All scaled vertically to be self draining - staight thru - no step down into cabin...

What thoughts...

SH.

Attached Files:

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

>>>>Sean, these comments are meant to be constructive as I have been through the same process you are entering. A lot of individual characteristics that you might want in a boat are just not compatible and much compromise is required while in the "design spiral". It's best to find out early.

Tom <<<<<

11. Sean Herron

Tom - others...

Hello...

Understand all arguements - to be honest this is just a side line - a sistraction - whilst I complete a five year old resume for the boat yards...

Thing is - I do not mind the freeboard - seen many same - also, as for the side decks - I would actually intend a small ballasted 'skeg' for this thing as respect for my wife - crazy I know...

Anyway I have to go get 'employed' again, before the severance pay poops out...

And you know - really - how am I going to go about selliing my little O'day and make plans for a putt putt O/B cruiser - think I will 'lay low' with what I have just now for a bit - I am a crazy little sailor...

We (me and the brunette devil) motored up false creek just yesterday - she loved it - tea on a primus, and 'the brunette devil' said I have to keep it (the O'Day 22) - koodos on her - the boat bit is my bit - really...

Yet now I have to look into these X-mas golf lessons just now - from same... :)

Tough life I have huh... :)

Thanks again...

Wish me luck...

When I get an interview I might take this up again - bloody New Year pursuits - any one got any ideas as to how to generate income without actually doing any work - aside from politics - or prostitution (same thing in many respects)... :)

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.