Sea-Cast...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tonyg1178, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tonyg1178

tonyg1178 Tony G

Has anyone tried this sea-cast system for transom replacement? Is this method reliable? And what kind of weight will it support? I have a 17 foot ski-boat that I am restoring and I want to know if this method, after ample curing time, will support a medium to large outboard and aftermarket tilt/trim unit..

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It will fill the gap left by rotten wood. However, it will be bonded to rot. The bond line is a structurally weak spot.

3. tonyg1178

tonyg1178 Tony G

sea-cast

when you say rot, you are talking about the rotten wood, right? If so, cant I get all of the rotten wood out?

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Even getting all the rotten wood out, you'll still have a potential failure plane at the joint. I have never tried the system myself but am not sure if I'd want to use it for something under so much stress, or on such a large area.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There is another thread > www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4287&highlight=seacast < that went over a lot of questions and may be of some help.

The company finally replied several months after the thread was started and is now reportedly to have a web site with independent testing results and specifications of product properties available on request.

I've don't have a high opinion of the stuff, mostly from their very poor customer service, when I tried to get some properties about the goo they were pouring into transoms. This stuff may be the magic bullet, but I'd be surprised. Companies with a kick butt products will be happy to tell you so, most try to prove it. This one didn't even try . . .

6. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Agree with PAR, sounds suspect at best. My greatest concern is bond-strength if you can't clean and prep the inside surfaces. I've taken apart way too many "injection repairs" where the injected stuff didn't bond at all and only served to diminish that hollow sound when tapped on.

Yoke.