Small tri ( 17 ~ 23 f )

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by murban, Jun 10, 2010.

1. murban

murban New Member

Hello all designers, builders, sailors ....

I am in the process of choosing the right design for small tri.
    All I want is a two person small tri with a "spartan" accomodation ( tent in/on cockpit or small cuddy cabin). Max lenght 23`, max weight 800kg, must be trailable, simple building method (plywood + glass + epoxy).

After looking a lot on internet, these are currently my favorites :

W17 by Mike Waters http://www.smalltrimarandesign.com/Trimaran-Articles/w17-plans.html

Sardine run http://hensevalyd-english.jimdo.com/works-and-creations/trimaran-sardine-run-5-50m/

Discovery 20 http://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/trimarans/discovery_20/

CC Cylone 23 http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=55

I would like to hear your opinion which design to choose, or if you have any alternatives to this designs.

THX a lot,

Greetings,

Miha

2. captainsideburn

captainsideburn Junior Member

3. murban

murban New Member

Scarab 16

Another alternative ( although a little bit small ) :

Scarab 16 http://www.teamscarab.com.au/scarab16/design.html

scarab 18 (650, 670) are also great BUT, I think there would be a problem building a foldinig mechanism (laser cutting / price ....)

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Don't forget the Cross 18, it folds and the plans are affordable.

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

One of my solutions for a comfortable, easy to build and sail, coastal cruising trimaran that can sleep two is the A225 shown below.

This is a 22'6" demountable boat built in stitch and glue marine plywood with epoxy/glass laminates. The sail rig is split into a low aspect yawl setup for trimming and boat control throughout a wide variety of wind and sail angles.

Sleeping arrangments can be varied from two in the main cabin, to one in the main cabin and one on the cockpit deck with a simple tent. Adventurous persons could go so far as to rig the boat for a full, side to side enclosure the includes the tramps and the cockpit.

Attached Files:

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

an opinion- only

I like the design of the sardine run best- but it is de-mountable, not foldable. That can really make a difference, even on a boat this light. Other than that, there is a lot going for the design; it is from a very qualified designer, it has a real interior, and a prototype has been built. It also looks as if it should sail well and should be easy to construct. Bruce

8. Team Scarab

Team Scarab Junior Member

Small Tri

Hi Murban,
    The plans for the Scarab 18 have all the dimensions required to loft and cut the hull panels and bulkheads. No laser cutting required there, just a jig saw.
    The aluminium arms for the folding system are water cut, the equipment for this seems to be available in most cities where there is some industry. We live in the bush 45km from the nearest large town and have an engineering shop just up the road (10km) where I can get my folding system components cut at a very reasonable cost. The Scarab 16 requires no water jet cutting as the folding system is different to the 18.
    My personal Scarab 18 will be ready to launch in about one month. The main hull is sitting up on the trailer and the floats will be attached tomorrow, all chain plates, cleats etc are fitted. The inside is painted and the cushions have been made. I have had a Tornado mainsail cut down and reef points added and will shorten the mast and paint it. Hope to have many photos and videos available soon.
    Ray Kendrick
    Team scarab

9. murban

murban New Member

Scarab

Hello Ray,

I have just received study plans for Scarab 16, I willl also order study plans for Scarab 18. In the meantime a have also contacted engineering shop nearby and they said that there will be no problem with cutting parts for folding mechanisem.

By the way I really like the design of Scarab tris. ;)

10. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Murban: Then you should go with the scarab trimaran. They have serious advantages over the open deck boats. It's a good thing to have a dry bunk and dry stored clothes after a wet day on the water. If you can handle the work and cost consider to build the 650. Looking after the design it offers a lot more possibilities for serious cruising as well as racing.

Ray, perhaps it's a good idea to offer a alternative version with the old tube and seastay beams as a cost and time effective alternative to the folding boats. Builders will save a lot of work and have the possibilities to "recycle" broken aluminium masts which costs mostly a sixpack of beer. Following my experiences most folding tri's stay in their sailing mode all the time if they are in the water.

Grrreetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

12. trokril

trokril New Member

Think 3 times before starting in your garage....

And, you do not need to go far.... and do some seatrials.
    Check it out:http://www.trokril.com
    Please contact me if you need some more info.

13. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

TROKRIL,

where is the centerboard positioned, in the cockpit or cabin? I don't see the top access of it, tks.

14. trokril

trokril New Member

Hi there,
    it is positioned in the cabin, aft from the mast support.
    Liftable through the companion-way.
    BR

15. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.