dodgy dinghy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Jun 5, 2011.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have a 7 ft inflatable tender, i really hate the bloody thing, i have heaps of poly resin and cloth and i thought can i use the inflatable for a mold and just leave it in there . how many laters of cloth would it need. i admit it is a harebrained idea but is there any reason it won't work. will the resin melt the inflatable before it sets. has anyone tried this before. apologys to inflatable boat lovers.

2. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

what's the point, you'll just end up with a heavier, bulkier, still just as bad version of your inflatable, without the one redeeming aspect of inflatables- the ability to inflate/deflate. i wouldn't bother.

3. sctpc

sctpc Junior Member

sell it and build another type if you dont like it. Unless its to punish it I put my mower under my concrete slab as it wouldn't start also the water bed.

1 person likes this.
  4. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

now thats just funny:D

5. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I bet that'll confuse the heck out of the archaeologists when they excavate under your slab in a few hundred years time.................

6. whitepointer23

thanks for the replys, the lawn mower story is a classic. i might hook it up to the compressor and see how big it gets at 120 psi before it blows. i will build a dinghy eventually. i wouldn't say the ability to inflate/deflate is a redeeming feature either. last time i rowed it in from my mooring i deflated it and packed it away before i realised the car keys were still on the boat.

1 person likes this.
  7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- no such animal!
    This thread is getting to be funnier than the jokes thread . . .

8. whitepointer23

if i blow it up to 120 psi it might turn into an 18 footer.

9. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Now see, lost oppurtunities. You could have glued that waterbed to the deflateable and made a go of it. Works as a mold release if nothing else. I'm not sure what a prospective date would make of it though.

10. ancient kayaker

Fit a nozzle on the stern and you could be the founder of the all-new sport of pneumatic sprint boats. Better still, put the nozzle underwater more more thrust, more noise too . . . oh, maybe not, the - er - acoustic sound effects may be embarrassing.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The acoustics are what would make it fun. I guess I've never truly grown up....

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Fill it full of water and make a paddle pool for the kids.

13. ancient kayaker

- then run an air hose from the compressor into the water - the kids will love it!

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I seem to recall Mythbusters tried that at one point with limited results. The boat moved, but not very far or very fast.

15. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Some bright light here will recommend hydrofoil assist - that should get it moving faster!

Think about it .... aeroDINK(tm) .... a people's dinghy. With built-in live master bait well and bubbler.

--
    CutOnce

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.