Hull shape for a 5m aluminum fishingboat

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by jonmatti, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jonmatti

jonmatti New Member

I am new here, just found this forum and it seems like there are a lot of knowledge and experience of hull designs here.
    I am planning on building a 5-5,5 m center console aluminum boat, but i do not have the knowledge needed for the hull shape.
    As far as i know the angle is vital for the characteristics, steep v shape for speed and flatter shape for stability and fuel economy.
    I was planning on a 75-90 hp outboard and a planing speed in 15-35 knots and still have stability when standing still. I want a safe boat for big lake fishing, waves 1-1,5 m.
    I am looking for some advice for angles and the sideview of the keel and bottom.

I am designing the boat in a surface modeling software with single bent surfaces only.

I am thankful for all help i can get! Since I am Swedish i might not know all the English terms.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

First thing that came to mind was a centre console in Sweden being a bit c-c-c-cold ! You might want to concentrate on the aspect of dryness, as in as little spray entering the boat as possible. I believe the best way to achieve that is having a well raked stem and forefoot, to throw spray off flatter to the water. Keeping the chine high toward the bow doesn't hurt either. That's where I'd be starting, being assailed by sheets of cold water in an open boat takes the fun right out of it.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The obvious choice is to purchase a set of stock plans or a semi/full custom set. There's quite a bit of understanding involved in designing high speed power craft, so unless you're interested in a few years of hydrodynamic and engineering study, you're best advised to get a set of plans and stick to the hull form shapes provided.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

So many nice designs available for Plywood glass construction. If you want to go alloy you must first do a weight study to see if you can build light enough to use these well proven designs

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most stock plains can be converted to other building materials, so if you find a plywood or foam cored build, you can likely have these converted to one of the few different aluminum builds (yep, there's more then one). Considering the cost of a 5m build, the price of this conversion would amount to an insignificant portion, of the total project outlay.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Glen-L offers quite a few aluminum boats from 16' to 24' just click on outboards or inboards and they list the materials out eith wood or alum. Inboard plans can be converted to outboard.

7. Mr Efficiency

Brrrrr.....the Swedish centre console, I feel cold just thinking about it. Best plan might to have a walk-around small centre cabin, or surround the console with shelter on three sides, that way two people should be able to stay out of the spray and wind, but you still have 360 degree movement round the deck. Over here you get sunburn and wind-burn, over there frost bite and wind chill.

8. Mr Efficiency

If the OP has expertise in aluminium fabrication and welding, all should be well if he gets some suitable plans. Otherwise, it is just too ambitious IMO.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

10. jonmatti

jonmatti New Member

Thanks for the fast replies and interesting links!

Yes a plan might be a good idea, as long as I can get the one suited best for my needs.
    Do you guys know of any vocabulary (images and text) for English boat terms?
    A bit hard to understand everything in a foreign language;)

BR
    Jon

11. Mr Efficiency

Are you experienced in welding aluminium ?