Daggerboard positioning

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by miked12, Nov 18, 2002.

1. miked12

miked12 Junior Member

I have been experimenting with different designs which involve moving the daggerboard of a 14' dinghy foward of the mast. I know that this is not commonly done. I was wondering what effects this would have on the boats foward motion and handling?

2. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Try massive weather helm, suseptability to broaching and a gerneral imbalance. Unless of course your sailplan is biased so that the centre of effort is over the board then it just won't work.

brett

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It would work if you only have a jib. The center of effort of your sail plan has to be slightly forward of the center of effort of the lateral resistance of the boat. The daggerboard is the main cause of lateral resistance. It would cause a tendency to broach too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.