D shape or semi oval advances wing systems shape for double mainsail

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Boy Griffioen, Jan 24, 2022.

?

D or Oval

1. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Oval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Boy Griffioen

Boy Griffioen Junior Member

Maybe it works better with a short mast i will have to try this out. But to keep heeling force as low as possible i start with in essence no steady mast section and just some ropes to tack and keep the wing above water level.

force vector 2.jpg

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

If I remember correctly OTIP worked fine until ... the media copter flew very close, way too close and also upwind to get the special image; anyone who has sailed with accompaning chopper realize the astonishing power of the downdraft.

3. Boy Griffioen

Boy Griffioen Junior Member

It could an should sail fine for a cat race. But unlike a normal sail rig the geometry gives the wing more heeling power when it heels more. But i want it for long distance racing and i want to rest once in a while and set the sails in a save mode. I think my proposed canting mast gives less heeling power and all weight of the boat helps to keep the wing in place. Worst case scenario would be the wind power pushing the sail under water and lifting the boat out of the water to a certain degree but no capsizing. Just retrieving te rig. Probably reef a bit and sail on.

4. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Yes I think you remember correctly, I had forgotten the helicopter fan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.