Model Hydrofoil Cat

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by HKG1997, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HKG1997

HKG1997 New Member

I am currently building a model catamaran it is 600mm long and 900mm high it has a wing sail and small jib both remote controlled. I would like to make some hydrofoils for this design but am not sure of a few things. Firstly what is the chance that it will sail on the foils for long periods of time (is it worthwhile), and what would be the best configuration for the foils, (self regulating would be best)

thanks for your help:D

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

========================
    An oversquare(wider than long) trimaran is a much better configuration for a model multihull sailing hydrofoil. Under one meter cats are hard to keep right side up-very hard. The cat -at that size-doesn't lend itself to foils -or sailing- very well. You can use fully submerged foils on an oversquare model tri and they will provide stability as well as lift-far better for a model though slightly more complicated.
    By "self-regulating" I imagine you mean surface piercing foils like the ones used on Icarus,the foiling Tornado. Again, the problem is the size of the boat:
    surface piercing foils reduce the effective beam of the the boat even further adding to the instability inherent in such a small platform. The bigger you can make the boat the better off you'll be. Hydroptere is a large trimaran using surface piercing foils and it is wider than it is long.
    Good Luck and keep us informed of your decisions and progress!

A boat I designed and built using fully submerged foils with wand altitude control: (56" long and 72" wide)

Attached Files:

3. HKG1997

HKG1997 New Member

thanks for sharing your knowledge
    if the foils were attached to out riggers on the side of the hull so that they were further apart than the length of the hull would this achieve the same thing?

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

To some extent that would work except for the drag/weight of whatever holds the foils. Here is a cat that did just that. So far, as I understand it, it hasn't proven real fast.

Attached Files: