Cutting out the console

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by tbarn917, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tbarn917

tbarn917 New Member

Hey guys,
    This is my first post. My future father-in-law just gave me an older 14ft procraft with a 70hp Force on it :D . I have taken it out a few time before he gave it to me and being more of a saltwater fisherman I was thinking giving it a slight face lift and making a center console for it. I hadn't seen it in a while and I assumed the console was removable but it turns out is molded with the top half of the boat.

Anyway has anyone ever cut out a fixed console (I figured I could use an angle grinder, sawsall, and/or jigsaw)? I know that it would leave an opening in the sidewall but I was thinking of building a box to slide in rods for storage. I'm pretty skilled in carpentry and I have some glassing experience from repairing surfboards. Let me know what y'all think!

Also, I was trying to find pics of my boat online and I am coming up empty. On the sidewall above the procraft logo it had another brand name that I think was maiden craft 1460 but I can't remember exactly what it was (the boat is out at his house) but I know it started with an "m". I tried to find a correlation between the two names but I didn't find anything so if anyone could help me with that too that would be great. Like I said I grew up in saltwater so I'm new to these boats.

Thanks for your help, here are a few pics I took while I was out there this weekend!

Tyler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. michigangeorge

michigangeorge Junior Member

Hacking up a fiberglass production boat will do nothing for its value and that boat is really too small for a center console anyway. Use and enjoy it as is and save yourself a lot of work and $$.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That's a flats style of boat and really doesn't have the freeboard for saltwater use, unless very close to shore in calm conditions. She could be overwhelmed by a freighter's wake easily.

The center console idea is doable, though in a boat of that length, of a bit dubious in usefulness. There's a fair bit of work associated with cutting out the side helm, moving all the controls, wiring and steering under the sole and to the new console.

4. tbarn917

tbarn917 New Member

Sorry I should have clarified, I am not intending to take this bad boy out offshore. I will mostly be fishing the flats out of Cedar Key. We have taken it out of Horseshoe Beach to go scalloping and it was fine. I grew up fishing in the Indian River in Brevard County which is technically brackish but I usually just say saltwater because of the fish that live there.

Ya I am not really looking for anything in terms of resale value. I am finishing up grad school and I'll fish this for as long as I can. After I look at it more I'll probably decide whether or not the work I'll have to do to make it a center console will be worth it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.