Cutting a roll to make tape

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by KnottyBuoyz, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I have a roll cutter by Tissa, and it works like a charm. have it for at least 10 years or so, and never had any serious problems with it. The only wearing parts are the blades, and the bolts which hold the blades. You have to change these occasionally.

I sell a lot of cut material to my clients, usually I charge 6 euros for a cut, which is way better then cutting yourself...

For wovens it is less suitable. The machine has no trouble cutting it, but the edges will frail.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Yeah the industrial cling wrap and pull it as tight as you can get it . Use a big band saw and turn the blade round so the teeth are facing up not down ! mark the roll and gently roll it through the saw not push!!:confused:
    Have been doing this for the last 20 years . :p
    The best blade is a meat cutting blade with a wavy cutting edge . its really good . But they are hard to come-by !:p

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I just received some pictures from my supplier of glass multiaxials, and they have a hefty machine for cutting rolls. It basicly is a very large grinding disc, the roll is pressed and rotated against the (fast rotating) disc.

They only use it if existing rolls need to be cut. the easier way is to cut it directly behind the machine that makes the multiaxial. That way they can keep some of the 0 degree fibers out, where the cut needs to be. This makes for a nicer product.

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

just ordered a roll of 1708 cut up for me when ordered from Comp 1. They sliced the entire roll up I don't think they even charged me for the service.

-jim lee

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Good to know that with a suitable blade, it can be done :) Because man, was the shop ever a mess the last time I tried to cut up cloth for tape.....