Triwanderer Hedley Nicol

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Kym Bouckaert, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kym Bouckaert

Kym Bouckaert New Member

Hi,I am the lucky owner of a Hedley Nicole Wanderer known as Triwanderer. I'm normally a fixer of boats but a couple years ago when I was looking for a multihull project I came across this girl and the quality and extent of her renovation left me with very little to do but go sailing. My reason for being here is to try and determine her age. Her registration says 1985 but I have seen hints from the early 70's. I tried to contact the restorer but have had no luck. I'm hoping to enter her in some "Classics" Regattas.

Attached Files:

ALL AT SEA and Corley like this.
  2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Cracking rebuild that one, I can remember seeing the pics. It was done at Shawn Arber's yard if I recall correctly.

3. Kym Bouckaert

Kym Bouckaert New Member

Yes apparently 7 years 3 days a week, I have found it very hard to improve on. Everything is the right size and in the right place and my wife just loves going out on her. We get many compliments.

ALL AT SEA and Corley like this.
  4. RJW Adelaide

RJW Adelaide New Member

Hi Kym. I am starting some repairs to a Wanderer and have been offered an aluminium mast which came from a monohull. Would you know the profile and wall thickness of your mast as well as what stays and cross trees have been installed? I still have a wooden mast which needs some repairs so I am considering the aluminium to replace it.
    Thanks
    Roger

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

We had extensive postings by Triwanderer's rebuilder here on Boatdesign in the Hedley Nicol Plan thread, a search under Triwanderer will get you to the right place. Nicols are great cruising tris, glad you guys are getting some sailing in.

As to mast a decent cruising section but not longer than 40' are my recommendations, the stock standing rigging could probably support a lighter section since it is braced every 10 feet but cruising it is nice to not have to worry, To do it right, work out the math on the spar sections you are considering. The nice thing about wood is it is quieter at anchor without the bell ringing of the halyards on aluminum.

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

P.S. No e in Nicol.

7. RJW Adelaide

RJW Adelaide New Member

Thanks for your input I will check the old posts again.
    Roger