Custom38Footer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hpetro1111, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

Hi all
    this is my first attempt on a full desing
    At the moment the hull probably sucks but its just a general idea
    any feedback would be great
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the goal would be to have a fast racing boat with some crusing comforts and be ocean going

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Best to keep the rudders under the boat.

For a cruiser i like the helmsman forward of the main traveller

The hull deck joint needs some detailing to reduce windage and make sitting on the rail more comfy

[​IMG]

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Welcome, Hpertro1111

You've presented a sketch, but not too much in the way of a design. Can you post the proposed vessel's particulars? Basic specs and a paragraph on who would be sailing it, and where, would be good. Any info on the build methods, materials and technology available to the builder would be good.

The hardware layout suggests a big crew or a boat intended for training since it forces many people to be on deck for a maneuver.

If you are more interested in comments on the hull shape or styling or ergonomics, we still need to know weights, areas, crew, and rating systems for racing.

4. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

Here are some more info
    LOA-11.50m
    Beam- 4.50m

those are not realy changable.

draft around 2.5 meter depending on any further stability calculations i do
    Rating ruls are not important to me . The boat should be fun to sail and be fast in relativly light winds ase the primary are would be the mediterranean but the boat should be able to sail offshore ( transatlantik ) so it has to be A category.

Yes the boat would be fully crew-ed for racing but the ergonomic should work for doublehanded and solo crusing
    im not intersted in extremly signlehanded boat like class 40 as that desing is a no-go for cruising for me
    The boat should be as light as posible prob not full carbon hull, but glass vacum infusion with carbon reinforcments should keep the boat reasonably light as the interior would be minimalistic and made as light as possible

michael pierzga
    complex rudders as those used on imoc-a and class 40 are not an option as the are to complex for my liking
    i know the best perforamce would be to have them under the boat but i like the simplicity of this solution

Yes hull-deck join just isnt round inaf on this sketch so thats and are to work on

take not im not a profesinonal ,im just fist year in naval arhitecture study so its all work in progres

the model is made in rhino and i have orca3d so i can get some info from there but im not shoure what data you would need to make some comments

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Why are those dimesions not changeable? A design for solo cruising ideally avoids things like running backstays. Rigs of that type are hard to handle even with crew.

6. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

well the lenght is there to keep the boat under 12 meter for the berth pricing and in my expirienc 35+-fotter have managable load on the sheets so sailing isnt to hard
    beam could be omptimized ofc was my mistake in previus post

i agree running riggning int optimal for cruising or for anyting as the complicate thing way way to much but to cary enough sailarea like squer top main and top mast genakers for racing and to have good upwind performance i just dont see any solution. maybe it is posible to have no backstay attal with a carbon rig ?!?! but how much would upwind performance suffer
    My idea was to ahve the runners in the center of the boat and not on the corners so that you could use a regaular mainsails that doesnt require runners
    Again my sketch desnt show that as the boom is to long and i have complex ruuners but thats easy to change

7. michael pierzga

Cruiser racers are the most difficult to get human ergonomics right. Full crew , then no crew

To improve form and function I would close over the transom with a removable " plank ". Boarding plank for stern too .

8. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

The idea sounds good , will play with it a bit but atm no idea how that would bork with my runners on the centerline

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Getting pooped on a boat with an open transom may get you killed, or at least injured. The advantages in speed are marginal at best.

10. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

Not shour what you mean by this ?!?!
    Opentransom being to dangerous ??
    To my knowlage it has become standard on most todays cruiser races

Small note- this would be a racer-cruiser

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Many design features become standard because of fashion. Most people want the "modern" look. Also, designers usually incorporate details considered part of a racing boat or car. For example, spoilers on family cars.

12. Hpetro1111

Hpetro1111 Junior Member

i can not agree more with you but an open tansom also has positivs
    easy entry and exit from water what si importatant for me in the adriatic

it makes summer living much easier , fishing and stuff
    also this open trasnom desing allows a simple rudder solution so that is big plus for me
    i dont agree with you that its any more dagerous then having it closed with a bench or somthing like that
    i never had any problems with open transoms so could you point me in details what the problems could be ?

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The good part of open transoms is how fast they drain. The downside are waves breaking over and flooding it, and gear or crew falling off. Netting can help with the latter, but a hinged gate is safer and keeps green water out. Trawlers use gates effectively.

14. michael pierzga

Sometimes the open transom is a negative. You lose valuable storage space and when stern too ,if the dock is high , the boarding plank has a steep angle.

Propane gas bottles are typically stored in this area.

All modern boats have a few solar panels, during the design phase is a good time to think about them . Enough power to keep beer cool.
    You might think of a "reefing" bow sprit. When in port During Croatian summer, august , you frequently hear the shout INCOMING !!! As a Sunsail charterboat prepares to crash into the dock after a long hot day. That bowsprit could be damaged.

Raceboat layouts are easy......Everything is complicated on a racer cruiser.

You might also think anout a rubber dingy...sometimes you can tow them, sometime you must put them on deck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.