Everglades Challenge 2024

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Manfred.pech, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

The Everglades Challenge is an intriguing event. I would be interested in such a sail in my own 19 foot Mariner. I know other Mariner 19s have entered. From there, I've been considering a sail to Dry Tortugas. What an awesome adventure.

-Will

Manfred.pech and BlueBell like this.
  3. SolGato

SolGato Senior Member

I wonder what the story is on the Tri shown in the first video at about 2:45?

It has a massive solar array which is strange considering it’s a sail/peddle/row race.

Manfred.pech likes this.
  4. waterbear

waterbear Senior Member

Wow, it's mostly multihulls. I spotted maybe 4 B&B boats, a couple of sea pearls...

Manfred.pech likes this.
  5. Manfred.pech

upload_2024-3-5_12-30-40.png
    Yes it is a real mystery. May be there is an internal race for solar energy?

I for myself miss Randy.

[​IMG]

portacruise likes this.
  6. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

That solar boat may just be testing a proof of concept and non-competitive. Human power is allowed as I recall, and if the rules allow "solar" power whether it be wind or solar cells, it might be a competitor. OTOH, it may win the whole contest, in the very unlikely case that it is Dead Calm throughout the period of the race, ha!

Did they change the race to eliminate the portaging part? There used to be a lot of clever folding boats in past races, in order to gain advantage during the terrain part..

Ps. It looks like that solar cell boat also has a sail, so that might give it an advantage if it is allowed to use both for propulsion.

The design looks like a death trap to get out of the seating position with the low overhead, a high COG is more stable upside down, and instant flip over potential if the panels suddenly catch high wind..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Tiny Turnip and Manfred.pech like this.
  7. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I'm of the view that the R2AK would be a lot more interesting with judicious placing of checkpoints that meant a boat that could be portaged stood a realistic chance of competing with the now dominant large boats with large crews

8. Will Gilmore

How long ago was that? Last I'd read, it was a requirement that the boat and crew start on the beach and must launch with only crew power. I had not read about a portage point in the course. Larger boats, like the Marine 19 often utilize inflated beach rollers or fenders to get to the water under crew power.
    [​IMG]
    But, they can't leave the equipment behind.

-Will

9. SolGato

SolGato Senior Member

I watched about 1/2 of the video of the event taking place and didn’t see any footage of the Tri with solar, but have decided the array must be for powering a heater and a high volume bilge pump after learning of the temperatures and seeing the amount of water the small boats take on.:D

10. portacruise

Will, Last message #15 in this link references the need to Portage, it is dated March of 2016,

Everglades Challenge: the Right Boat? https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/everglades-challenge-the-right-boat.55211/

I think the previous route went Overland and through part of the Everglades to get from the Gulf to the atlantic? It Was known as the world's toughest boat challenge at one time? Having to go over land stimulated a lot of very interesting creativity. That's just one time reference, they may have changed the route considerably after that posted date. Searching the links to Everglades challenge at the bottom of this page May turn up some pictures of the unusual boats.

11. Will Gilmore

Most likely from the Gulf into Florida Bay, through the Everglades.
    [​IMG]

-Will

12. Manfred.pech

Yes, a lot of multis, mostly trimarans, but very rare were trimarans with cabin and overnighters like this tremolino and another one.
    upload_2024-3-7_20-1-6.png

13. Robert Biegler

Robert Biegler Senior Member

The portage is part of the Ultimate Florida Challenge, not the Everglades Challenge: WaterTribe Events https://www.watertribe.com/Events/Default.aspx

14. portacruise

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.