custom fishing boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by kirkster7, May 20, 2010.

1. kirkster7

kirkster7 New Member

Hey guys i need alot of input on building a fiberglass boat from scratch. I would like to build a boat that like a nitro bass boat. I was thinking of building a wood skeleton, filling in the spaces with high density foam, then covering everything with fiberglass. Is this a good idea? Is this possible? Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. I need some expierneced advice.
    Thanks guys

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Kirk,

Can it be done? Yes

Is your methodology a good one? Not really

Is this a cost effective way to get a Nitro? Absolutely not

As a general rule it costs as much to custom build a boat as it does to buy a similar boat new. Therefore the justifications for building can be generally grouped into a few catagories 1) What I want isn't and wasn't made by someone else. 2) I want to build a boat.

On a small bass boat the reality is that the engine will make up a very significant part of the cost of the boat (well over 50%), and used boats are cheap. My advice is buy an older one, and repower it.

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

It would be better to build it out of plywood and epoxy, and coat over with two layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy. You will get a sounder structure provided you have a good structural design, and it will ultimately be easier to build, look better, and probably cost less money in the long run.

Good luck,

Eric

4. wdbeyer

wdbeyer Junior Member

Ditto on the above two posts. Take a look at Glen-L's Flats Flyer or Bateau's Phantom. You could take either design and modify the interior space to your own liking, i.e. like a Nitro.