Place to buy glass fiber strands

Discussion in 'Materials' started by seagull369, Sep 20, 2008.

1. seagull369

seagull369 Junior Member

Hiya, folks. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy loose fiberglass strands (if I've got that term right) in bulk. Or in other words, the stuff chopped mat has in it, but not formed in a sheet already.

I was kinda hoping that the strands each be as close to 2" long and compatible with polyester resin. All I've found so far is 1/4" long

Any leads? Thank you.

2. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Where is Poughkeepsie? You can buy jelled resin with long
    strand glass already in it. I use it all the time. It is easy to
    mix. quick setting and does not foul sand paper to any degree.

I use the short strand to fill screw holes and seams in my
    wooden boats. I have used it for many years and never
    had a problem with it.

http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/bondo/catalog_itemb812.html?itemNbr=521

3. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

OOh up in NY. Talked to my Mother up in Massena last night, 30 degrees out, 100 out here. One thing you might try. I know ready mix companies use chopped fiber in concrete, same thing. If you know some one that works at a ready mix outfit, you should be able to get some for free.It comes in bags the fall apart when they get wet. Or maybe home depot or the like might have some, I've never looked. Some bags are micro-3/4" and them some are 1 1/2" to 2" and then some look like Hog hair. Just and option. Or buy a box, 20 or so bags per box. It's all chop strand mat and don't let any one tell you any differance, it's in my pool.

4. seagull369

seagull369 Junior Member

Hey, thanks for the help so far ,guys.

Yea, Po'town's in NY (about 60 miles from NYC) and it certainly has been chilly around here! Wish I could say Massena was closeby, but it looks about as far as you could get from where I'm sitting as you could get in NY (and probably even colder).

BHOFM, I think the jellied resin you mentioned differs from the 3M product you listed in the link. Jellied resin (from my understanding) doesn't have any fiber in it and therefore usually needs to be used with some sort of backing mat (chopped/ cloth/ etc.) to work otherwise it will fail it short order. The link shows (from what I read) what seems to be plain old Bondo mixed with those strands (long or short) I was looking for. I actually tried another brand of that stuff and, although it's certainly tougher than the non-reinforced kind, it's just not up to the task I need it for (I'd tell you what that is, but I don't want to get yelled at :D ).

Yea, cobra, I've heard about fiber reinforced concrete, but never woulda thought it had the same stuff in it. Glad to hear it doesnt! I'll definitely check out a few places around here to see if they carry it. :)

5. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

I use it all the time, it is a greenish jell, not any thing like
    bondo filler. It smells like resin as well. It has no talc in it.

6. seagull369

seagull369 Junior Member

Oops, I stand corrected. If I can find it around here, I'll definintely check it out.

7. warrensun

warrensun New Member

please contact Warren Sun if you are interested in the chopped strands.

Warren Sun
    Visiting Scholar of University of Washington 2002-2003;
    Director of foreign sales of
    pasia industries co.,ltd
    Address: 1200 North Fuxing RD wutong district Tongxiang Zhejiang P.R.China 314500
    tel: 0086-573-88250116(office);88259179(home);
    fax: 0086-57388250225(office);88259180(home);
    mobile:008613819033770;
    skype ID: warrensun86;
    MSN: galesun@hotmail.com

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

MY local boat building fiberglass supplier has it ... Joe Fiberglass, ask boatbuilders in your area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.