Bulkhead Thickness

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Guest1578132542, Jul 12, 2010.

1. hi all.

need to spec bulkheads for my transom truss for my cat.

i want to bolt ply bulkheads either side of an aluminium truss, somewhere between 9 and 18mm ply i imagine, but what i'm worried about is the bolts crushing light weight wood.

esp over time, the steel bolts vibrating, chafeing and fatigueing the bolt holes in softwood thin ply.

i'm thinking maybe even meranti ply is not good enough fo 40 years of steel bolts moving against the holes
    so hoop pine ply or heavier harder timber ply

so the question is,
    how thick, and how heavy a ply should i use? (heavier equals harder wood)

onya,
    mal

(
    cat specs;
    3 tons a hull, 21 x 44, aluminium truss 10cmx60cm
    )

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

First of all you need to know the load on each bolt....a realistic load backed up with real experience over time......

Once you know the load you can calculate the required bolting area for a given species using mechanical properties of wood tables....Pay attention to load direction and wood grain direction because wood is not isotropic (of equal strength in all directions) Don't forget a safety factor to account for imperfections in wood. Then pay an engineer to look over your calculations....

First go through this (Multihulls) forum and read every thread on designing and building crossbeams.

3. thanks tad
    thats all i need,

i'll google wood tables and take it from there.

onya,
    m

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.