Cthippo's shipwrecks and derelicts thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cthippo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I figured I'd start a thread to post pictures of the various interesting shipwrecks and derelicts I find on my adventures.

This one looks like an old whaleboat which is now sitting on her side in Ebey Slough near Everett. I swear, every time I think I've found every derelict Everett has to offer it proves me wrong. I found yet another old wood boat wreck on Google Maps last night to go hunting for.

The last picture is the cabin cruiser I found the week before, but I though it was a cool picture so I added it.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Finally got out and chased down some new ones, all pleasantly close to home for a change.

The first one is a 32' fishing boat being consumed by the sand. It's on the DNR derelict vessels list, but in the wrong place. It's also right off the road I used to drive every day and I never noticed it before. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I still am.

The rest are at a place I've known might have derelicts for years, but never stopped to look before. Glad I finally did. The Tucson is notable only because she spent some time on the wrong side of the water a few years back and the EPA had to get involved to get he off the bottom.

Attached Files:

3. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

Great photographs and a neat thread. I am glad history like this is around to give color to the shoreline.

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I found this one while flying around on Google Earth. It was another case of "I bet that's not still there" since it's right next to a busy roadway and they just re-built the bridge over this piece of water. I figured it was probably hauled off to the dump as part of the bridge replacement.

When I got there it turned out that despite being right next to the bridge, it's not visible from the roadway. Yet another case of how things can be so well hidden in plain sight.

Attached Files:

5. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Another week, another wreck...

Actually, I've been trying to get out to this one for quite a while. She's the S/V Windjammer, a 65' ferrocement sailboat abandoned in Simlik Bay. This is another one I found on the Dept of Natural Resources derelict vessels list, and I had actually planned to visit her earlier, but finding a launching site turned out to be a bigger challenge than anticipated and so plans changed. As it was, I had to slog across at least a quarter of a mile of mudflats just to get to the water, and then had to wade in a ways to get enough water to float my kayak. Starting the day with wet feet before you ever get into the boat is something less than ideal, but there you go.

Attached Files:

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Time for some more!

I was in Everett again last Thursday and I swear that area will never run out of wrecks!

The first is one I found surfing around on Google Earth, but when I paddled out to where it was supposed to be, there was no one home. I found her about a mile downstream on the other side of Otter Island. There were some pretty massive flows on the river earlier this year and I think the high water must have carried it.

I don't know much about the next one, except that she's near the wreck of the King Oscar and will have to wait until the river goes down some more.

The final pic is not a derelict (AFAIK), but is awesomely beautiful none the less. She's about 100 feet long and is called El Primero (the first), and according to the sign painted on her funnel was built by the Union Iron Works in San Fransisco in 1893.

Attached Files:

7. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

A fixer-upper! Great pictures and what an area you have to explore. Any idea how long the Windjammer has been there?

8. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

The only derelict in that photo is that tent!

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Not with any certainty. She originally came to the attention of DNR in 2006, but at that time was located at Eagle Harbor. Sometime between then and now she moved to Simlik Bay and sank. She's present on the Google Earth imagery taken 4-30-09, but not on the 2006 imagery.

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Rozelle Bay Belle

Here's one I saw over the weekend, maybe not abandoned but at the head of Rozelle Bay......................................................

Attached Files:

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

51° 12' 35.98" N 4° 22' 33.64" E

Nice thread - - - Great pics - - - Thanks Cthippo [​IMG]

Not as many here like in your region, but passed this one many times...

_wreck_scheldt_antwerp_1_.jpg _wreck_scheldt_antwerp_2_.JPG

It's there for ca. 25~30 years now on the banks of the Scheldt just across the city of Antwerp.

Here seen on Google Maps and on Bing Maps, if you zoom out you see how close it is to the city.

GM / BM zoom out, wreck is in left bottom corner now.

Took the screenshot from Bing Maps, thanks to Marcstrat for the first pic.

Cheers,
    Angel

12. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Attached Files:

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I talked to another resident of the same "marina" the El Primero is moored at and he said she's for sale. Only $269,000 on Yachtworld!

14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

Here she is
    with some pretty pictures, especially inside . . . :)

Cheers,
    Angel

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Most people go someplace sunny on vacation.

I go to one of the raniest spots on the planet. Neah bay WA.

On the plus side, it was rich hunting grounds for wrecks!

The first one is a fishing boat that has been in it's present condition for a couple of months. According to the locals, the owner bought it in California, brought it up to Neah bay and stripped all the useful gear off it for his other boat and left it tied to a derelict pier. Did I mention it rains a lot there? Eventually the hull filled up with water, and , well, the results are pretty obvious.

Next up is a section of the old I-90 floating bridge from Seattle. Apparently the tribe bought two of these for artificial reefs in the harbor. One is now on the bottom, but this one is still floating, sort of. Somewhere along the line the road deck buckled, giving it a nifty post-apocalyptic look.

And, what's this? A wreck tied to the bridge? Why yes, another abandoned fishing boat. Bonus!

The breakwater that protects Neah Bay is tied in to Waadah Island on it's east end. On the island I found this sailboat which has been nicely cheese-gratered on the rocks. It looks like the boat is half buried in the sand, but actually, (as far as I can tell) half a boat is all that's left.

Finally, Here's one that's about ready to join the first one on the bottom. She's got about a foot of water in the open bilge and appears to have been used as the marina garbage dump. Winter is nearly here and if someoene doesn't do something with her soon they will have another boat to dredge off the bottom.

Unfortunately, when I went paddling later that day my camera got wet through the dry bag and died, so I don't know when the next update might come. Until then, keep posting!

Attached Files: