CSC 30 Catamaran- the coastal passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Mate if u PM me a drawing I can let u know if it looks like how other designers do it or if its a way that will work. Ive deing doing a heap of research since grooper pulled me up for going to quickly and taken alot of adivece from designers naval designers builders and looking through 100s of build photos and videos taking lots of notes.
    I have built boats am not a boat builder but gonna build a cat as a carpenter.
    Cheers
    Gus

2. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

About designs

I didnt want to way into this debate and probably shouldnt
    But am going to as most of us here were really enjoying this forum and finding a gr8 flow of information now its gone to the dogs.
    Designs anre not just whats on paper. These designs have to be checked pass tests for insurance and on some occasion for charter. Its not just 1 2 3 there we go. I know that if a boat is built here in Australia exact2to plan and it sinls killing someone that the designer can be bankrupted if his design caused the death.
    Plus many of the designers such as Woods, who some may remmber I dont really like, builds most of hos designs uses them himself so as can correct anything that needs improvement. And as above you can insure a boat built from plans but not one built by a hobbyists without gr8 expence, at least here in Australia. You would need to pass a waterways inspection and Im dam sure one itd cost a fortune and two you won't met the safety requirements without massive modifications after youve finished. Hence why most people suggest plans.
    Im doing it myself but am aware of the above restrictions. It comes down to use expectations and knowing your own skill level. O cost is my reason and I dont care about resale.
    But its not just the plans its everything the plans come with and stand for. And if you hav 40-70k to build a boat 5k for plans to ensure insurance and resale is nothing in terms of total cost. So plans are more than worthwhile and cost effective for those builds no matter the designer.

But as stat2Im doing my own build using the basic outline of the CSC30 but with well studied and investigated modifications that most people here where contributing to. The only thing you need to know is if a desig2is bashing another designer then I wouldnt go near them hence my dislike for Woods. That said I have saild some of his deaigns and they were gr8 boats just fights between vested intrests dont help.

So can we return to cool helpful info without the mud slinging because this forum has been fantastic with info thats hard to find elsewhere and help at the touch of a button.

****. For those that know me Ive bloody done it again a long winded crapfest......

All the best to the gang
    Gus

3. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Heres a what i take Aussie designer from voice on video with some really good boats with cheap plans for those like me who dont have a heap of cash to spend on plans. Or aren't silly enough to do it themselves $300 is the max cost Ive found for the boats. Noe Ive said that hes got a kicker 8.5m Id love have a look through if intrested;

http://ikarus342000.com/P5000page.htm

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Sorry Gus, didn't understand any of that. Ikarus is K Design who is Bernd Koehler who is German.

5. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Ok cool. Im one of the videos an Aussie guy is lunching a cat and talking design. Theres a killer 8.5 meter cat one there with full bridge deck and saloon which look like a fantastic boat. Plans only 300 full head room nice layout.

But Im to far gone now. Ive got the picturein my head and steaming towards it. Although everyday pucking up little bits from here and there for the build. Although having the full Allamottie plans in front of me makes me tempted but its 25ft with no saloon or cuddy and the Mrs would kill me if Iade her even coastal sail without one of the two.

Yep understanding is over rated uve seen plenty of that gibberish from me before. Dam I really need to re read what I write but Im to lazy. Building is where I'll spend time concentrating......
    Cheers mate

6. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Gus7119, I bought the Study Plan for K Designs ECO75 Powercat and there was actually more information on his website than the study plans.

7. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

I found that with a few sights. But some of his designs are gr8 and cheap if your looking for a gr8 boat with cheap plans was my point. But I dont think thats the only designer who does that. Most give you enough info on their sites to decide if you like their boats or not.
    Cheers

8. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

From the one drawing on the website I was able to determine that the distance from the bottom of the cockpit floor to the waterline is 16" or less on the ECO75 and that stopped me from looking at anything else. Other than that, the only problem I saw with it was getting from the helm to the anchor or to tie it to a dock. You can go through the inside or cross over the top which is a compound curve with nothing (in the pictures) to hold on to. Nice looking little boat and everything else would work for me. It is still not what I want but, would work.

9. Teleman

Teleman Junior Member

I have been studying the 8m-10m homebuild sheet ply cat range for years. (My retirement project.)

Kohler's designs generally have one big drawback for me: they all look very hard to get aboard from the water or a dinghy. He did most of his sailing in the Med, so probably is used to marina berthing, stepping on deck from a dock.

Basically the choices are:

CSC30 (really for experienced boatbuilders, plans are not exactly detailed, accom is small for boat size.)

Kohler KD860 (no saloon headroom, awkward foredeck/mast access.)

Wharram Tiki 30 (no headroom anywhere, not so sure about the gaff/sleeved main rig.)

Waller Coral Cove 31 (more expensive/lengthy build, more weight, deck saloon is small, without headroom. Great aft doubles.)

Woods Gypsy (simple build, headroom everywhere, safe access forwards, separate private living spaces, proven seaworthy, safe and reasonably quick.)

All will use roughly the same amount of materials, with the Gypsy probably the quickest build.

Designing your own boat (and actually building it!) without a lifetime of design/building and sailing experience would be a monumental waste of time and money.

Edit: Forgot to list the Snell Easy Jessica 9.9. A proper bridgedeck cat, so more cost and time, but excellent resale and a very comfortable and proven boat.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have been buying 9mm marine ply from bunnings for $67 a sheet. nice stuff too.

11. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

You can get it for 47 from Brookvale if you're in Sydney.
    Cheers

12. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Hey anyone have any experience with what Im led to believe is fairly new PET panels? Im told they are alot cheaper then foam and are made from recycled plastic lite and durable. But have only spoken to a person that used it for furniture in couchhouse not for hull work.
    Rob Denney intrested in your thoughts about this also catstalker and anyone else thats been building and had practical experience over a few years.

13. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Roger Hill in NZ has a very nice 30ft ply bridgedeck cat design. Check it out.

14. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

So why not a trimaran in the same size range disp. wise ? To an extent you will pay by the pound for a build . For a 28' cat with 5300 disp. , you get less room than you would in a Searunner , Horstman , ect . The Horstman 32 XR is back on Ed,s plan list , I would be willing to bet it has more room , and sails faster , and cost about the same , or less at 4700 disp .

15. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

We seem to have moved so far away from the SSC30. We were getting build ideas design ideas comment on design changes.
    Lets try return to that, most of the other discussions are actual topics in other forums, its fine to discuss anywhere but it'd be great to return to making it relevant to the topic of a cheap cat build that some crazies may give a go, me being one, and offer helpful advice and build hits. There some great refrences to boats into respect of 'you could unclude'.
    On that point a breaking all above there have been some qmazing 8.8 cats with full bridgedeck cabins to. Ive been lucky in the time I started talking to people on the CSC30 Ive managed to collect 3 full sets of plans for cats from 7.5 to 9.2 meters. These will give me lots of ideas for my CSC 30. Against all advise Im still going with the CSC30 with no intention for resale.
    First Pics will be up next week, so here we go then.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.