CSC 30 Catamaran- the coastal passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Nov 29, 2011.

1. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

Seems as if this thread died off a bit. Here's my situation:

I live aboard a Hartley Tasman with a cracked hull, which didn't worry me in the least until MSQ decided it needed to be hauled out, inspected and certified by a professional boat builder. Just before that happened I had bought new sails and a set of Raymarine wireless instruments and was planning a trip around Australia but they froze me in place, couldn't even start the engine without incurring a penalty.

Anyhow, it seems to me that I have most of the makings for one of these cats already if I scrap the hull and use the existing 10 metre mast and boom as well as all the new stuff. Advantage being I have a new hull (2016 vs 1984) and combining that with the fact that it's a cat - which everyone seems to want - would give me better resale value for my efforts when I eventually decide to sell. The amount of work needed seems to be about the same no matter which way I go here.

Yes, building a CSC30 will cost me a lot more in the short term, but the value of an old ferro Tasman with new paint, sails and instruments is still only $5,000.00 after all. The other option is a Hartley Sparkle trimaran, which I also like a lot.

Oh, and what options are there for disposing of 8 tonnes of concrete? I though about towing it out to Tangalooma and sinking it with all the other wrecks but I'm not sure that's legal.

2. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Yeah dont get caught sinking its not legal but alot of peoples boats seem to sink when they are not repairable.
    As for resale value. Your better of getting a plan and building a cat if your looking at resale. As you cant insure these. Theres still good prices being paid for well built ply boats, and many boats cats included are over 40yrs old that where done properly out of ply.
    You get alot of people here keep banging on about doing a foam boat and if you can afford it and have the space Is go foam also.
    Go have a look a Waller and some other designers i think Leon mentioned the Waller cats as one he liked. But if your building just for you then this is a nice easy build. I know only of the 1 we completed for a guy a few year back he added some stuff but basically the same and just heard he'd done a circumnavigation in it. After being in Asia since build.
    Im still collecting bits and bobs for my build. Decided that as long as you follow best practice and are doing it for the right reasons knowing Im not building for resale you'll be right.
    But really this is not the boat to build for resale. Theres cats on gum tree for 13k ready to sale outa ply so return not great if thats your thing. But with the right plan and designer for 3-5k buy some plans and you can build a cat and get a good return even out of ply. But again if you can foam do it.
    By the way anyone used this PET foam thats half the price of the other stuff?

3. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Concrete can be recycled so u may find someone to take it free. Otherwise your up for some cost, as I said above ITS NOT LEGAL to go sink it. But here in Sydney it does amaze me how many sick tired and old boats happen to have sunk in water to deep to survey when there been another boat about and no one is wet when the return to land at 2am. So many boats seem to be out at 2am just about the time anothers sinking and not a flare to be seen anazing.

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Haiqu,
    I think if you stuck with the basic CSC 30 you would come out of it well, use quality ply though not cheap exterior.
    My issues with the modified bridge deck version (Lobos 30 ?) is that unless the hulls have been given more displacement the weight of the bridge deck and fit out are going to eat up the payload capacity, to what point I wouldn't hazard a guess but on a 30' waterline it will be significant. I think the original concept is valid, not so sure on the rest.

The Waller Coral Cove 31 might be a safer option,

http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/cc31.html

Or one of Richard Woods more basic designs,

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/3-25ft-to-30ft-catamarans-designs/174-windsong

5. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

The reason those cats on Gumtree are $13k or less is that they're 40 years old, not because they're ply. I've looked at a few and shaken my head, too dodgy for me. I have already been through the whole exercise of attempting to fix problems made by other people twice now so that's enough for me. Typically all old yachts need a full rewire, modern electronics, new sails and lots of hardware is missing. No thanks.

There's no way I'd pay $3-5k for a set of plans, especially for a ply boat. The Hartley Sparkle trimaran plans are $100.00 and that's about what they're worth.

As for foam and vacuum bagging ... well, each to their own but why reinvent the wheel? There's no resin wasted with a good roller and I've done a fair bit of manual glassing so don't see it as a problem. Some people just don't like getting their hands dirty I guess.

I'm not doing it for resale at all but at 63 I figure it will be sold within 10 years or so, which is still young for a good yacht. As for sinking the ferro, I was planning to ask permission of course. It would be easy to prove it wasn't an accident after I've removed the mast and everything, after all.

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Re; Sinking.
    Well it would appear the Barrier reef is in a lot of trouble so maybe some new reefs further south is a good thing. :-(

7. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

I was planning on buying supplies from these guys: http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/

I don't mess with other people's plans. To do so is to design your own boat, and that requires a new sheet of paper and knowing what you're doing. Thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

Edit: Waller's prices are outrageous. Woods looks sensible for this day and age. I'll dig into his deeper.

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

9. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

Where I suggested (Tangalooma) there is already a reef made from purposely sunken boats. They did it to protect that side of the island from the weather but it wasn't very successful evidently. It's a well-known dive site and tourist attraction.

http://www.queensland.com/en-us/attraction/tangalooma-wrecks-dive-site

10. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

You wouldn't use Bruynzeel on a CSC30, totally inappropriate. It's designed as a cheap catamaran, and no matter what you used the value would be identical unless it was made by a well-known yard.

I'm thinking Dragon Pacific Maple (Red Meranti). At $92.42 a sheet it's a steal, and has a really nice character when varnished.

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Depends on the value you put on payload, while the "quality" may be overkill the weight saving is significant.

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Tangalooma looks like an awesome idea ! Hope it plays out.

13. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

Found one. http://www.bmigroup.com.au/portfolio/concrete-crushing-brisbane/

Dunno if it's free but it's quite close to where I'll be hauling out.

14. haiqu

haiqu Junior Member

I can get Gaboon ply from the guys up the road as well, but at $153.38 a sheet it's a definite non-starter.

I'm single. If I had a fat missus weight might be an issue. :) Besides, the difference is only 2%.

"Did you ever notice that single-handers never talk about what they’re doing with their other hand?" - Cap'n Fatty Goodlander

15. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Gaboon is 9kg for 6mm Pink marine is 10.4 Difference is 15.5 % percent heavier. But 66% more expensive !

I get your priorities, just putting another view.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.