CSC 30 Catamaran- the coastal passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Not sure why but this hadn't appeared when I asked about the construction idea. So thanks for that mate. It seems that I ve been going down the right road then as Erics construction methods are similar to some listed previously. Combine all and your given what seems like a realistic mast.
    Thanks again for those articles and the insulation forum. Im not sure if this was the stuff he used on the boat as it seemed to be bags. But if it works at 30,000 ft then itd have to work at 0 ft above water.
    Just now waiting for supplier to get wood in as had run out. And was going to order a pack but they get it in 60sheets so thought about it, then thought na not gonna build a navy so won't do that.
    An interesting comment by the supplier, the provide a number of boat builders around Australia and hes of the opinion that you dont want to buy a ply boat from a builder as he said 90% if not more use CD to build their boats cavities and all. Now Im not sure how good his stats are but that was a shock. Also that all Australian provided ply uses A grade glue.
    Anyway any more ready links would be great.
    All the best to everyone

2. isladelobos

isladelobos Junior Member

Gus.

Regarding your past question: I used a simple 2D vector software, you can test a free 2D vector software called InkScape but not have full control in splines or round angle creations, for this need a best software like Autocad or similar.

3. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Cheers mate

4. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Murray Isles anyone seen his work

I came across a plan for a Murray Isles 'Allamotte' 7.6m cat. And have it in front of me as I type. It looks like a really nice little boat, a little small but a graet looking boat. Hes from Tasmania and apparently fairly well regarded.
    So does anyone know of him. Know of any of his boats first hand? I found a 12m that was built from plans by him and commercial boats. He has retired and thats about it. So any info would be great. The plans even have a design for a 10.4m rotating mast using a tow ball. Had heard about this idea never seen a plan for ut though. Interesting.

Anyway any info would be great. Still going forward with the highly modifies CSC30 although will be closer to 35-38 feet when done. And now I have some real plans I can check the method to my maddness and get some ideas maybe.

Cheers

5. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

I was good mates with Murray a while back. A very well grounded designer with lots of practical experience, especially in severe conditions.

Further to my previous posts about Intelligent Infusion, there is now an animation and explanation of the process at http://harryproa.com/?page_id=1327 The animation is for a 25' power cat with a pretty closely defined spec (it is the tender and outboard sled for a 60' harryproa), but Intelligent Infusion could be used for many boats, (particularly those designed for sheet material such as ply or duflex) with big savings in time, mess and hard work.

6. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Finally finished Rob Gr8

So Rob I see a week is somewhere in the month or two range....;-)
    Looks great fantastic idea. Love the design and more the thought that's gone into your 60 ter. Murray's plan I was given is an 8meter boat that has amazing roomyness but no coach house or whatever equivalent is just bridge deck but with 2.5 meters at the bow end of deck plenty of room to throw one on. And his design is great. Everything or should I say the little I've read says his boats are as tuff as nails for Tasse and Southern Ocean sailing. I'm just finishing up my drawings including ideas gained by having a set of full plans in front of me, making it much easier to tweak my design.

I'd use this design but am unsure if it would be a good idea to extend it and 8m is a little small for global sailing with wifey. But now have a wood mast design, a combination of murray's and 2 others that are almost identical. Although may not be necessary as could land a free 11m + some winches for trade in work with a guy, but we'll see if it works out.

Still stunned at the fact no one has done an incorporated tender for cats and it really fits with your design. O and you'll be pleased to know if I do build mast it'll be 3 stayed as suggested. I'll email you my drawings once done, old school on squared design paper but I'm a simple guy. If you know of any pics of Murray's builds please send me some links only been able to find a 12 meter that the owner extended and Murray was none to happy about it.

Cheers mate

7. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Took a while to get the Intelligent Infusion plans written so there would not be any build questions. Quicker on the next one.

I didn't suggest a 3 stay rig. I cannot think of a worse option. One stay or fitting breaks, it all falls down.
    You cannot run square without the sail chafing and cannot ease the sail when caught in a squall. probably can't reef it easily either, without expensive track and cars. Consequently, you spend time either worrying or with a reefed main. 3 stayed mast is up there with building from ply in terms of things that will cause more grief and work than is necessary.

I knew Murray before the internet so nothing on record. Ring Kettering post office. They can probably yell his name out the front door and he will come to the phone. Say hi from me.

8. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Just got back from a winters cruising on my ply hard chine cat with 3 stay mast. (Downwind whenever possible) What'd I miss?

9. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Sorry Rob must have miss understood thought you said if u were going to do stays you'd go two rear one forward, if stayed. Did see a central free standing mast on a 30 foot cat somewhere. Just with space limitations going for poles in each hull is going to reduce space which is small as it is.
    Got an email address for Murray so I say hi for you.

10. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Got some pics??

11. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Rob

Just read your email RE the fast uncomfortable sailing. My cat is a bit like trying to sleep in a luge when you get above 10 knots. Had water running over hulls sides and foredeck sailing between FL and Nassau averaging 9-10 knots with surfs to 15 under Genoa alone.

Anyhow, will take you up on that Proa sail when I get a chance.

Jeff

12. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

You could try: MoJo life at sea / on Facebook, my wife's site.

13. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I have a 43 foot cat and sailing at over 10K can sometimes be MORE comfortable in confused seas as the boat finds its stride through the waves and is less effected by the washing machine motion. In moderate conditions speeds over 10K are very comfortable. If you can afford it, some relatively inexpensive empty sailing length on your design will mean more comfort at higher speed.

14. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Sounds like fun. the sleeping in a luge feeling is one of the drawbacks of smaller boats, I guess. Although when you are sailing them, it takes less speed to make them feel exciting, which is a bigger plus.

Love to take you for a sail. When I have a boat. Easy, rapid building methods and simple boats are not much use when there is no one actually building the boat. However, part time work on Bucket List has begun, so if nothing goes amiss, it will be sailing this year.

Gus,
    Squeezing past a 200mm diameter mast against the side of the hull is a small price to pay for the benefits of an unstayed rig.
    Or, put it in the middle. A hundred bucks worth of carbon tow to support it vs the cost of the rigging, mast fittings, chainplates, compression post, forebeam and striker.
    Happy to look at your rig drawing if you like, see if I can pick up any problems. Apart from the ones inherent in 3 stay rigs. ;-).

15. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Angry angry angry

I really hate it when you are trying to research and the only answers that keep coming up are, we'll they'd be on race boats if there was any merit or sloop rigs hold all the records, or the best of all they'd be on all boats if they were any good. Also the great sailors are very traditional so you wont get anyone to acept change. Rob and Brian England are two of the very few that have provide answers to unconventional ideas with actual facts rather then the above. The thing I enjoy about this little CSC30 post is the fact it's expansive in its subject matter and there is so much more then just the boat itself here which has been inspiring.
    I was under the misconception that the masts had to be on the centerline of the hulls. Therefor it would be fairly easy to use the beam, and reinforcement on the inside or bridge deck side of the hulls to put the two masts. Also the reduced weight and height I like it and Rob your gonna hate me but they lend themselves to being built out of wood/epoxy for easy construction.
    I've included a pic of a cat with a central mount but my question is with that would you not need to carry more weight in reinforcement on the beam? And I have no issue with anything different hell I was going to go the A frame route just because no one came up with a good reasonable answer as to for a purley cruising boat not racing so speed not a really huge factor as to why not till Brian England and Rob actually came through with some factual info the rest where .............see above.
    Know my post are long just get excited apologies for that. So Rob I think I might give it a look in and any input by anyone would be great. We seem to have lost Groper and the great model craftsman where are you??? ;-)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.