CSC 30 Catamaran- the coastal passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Nov 29, 2011.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

"True, otherwise it would become something else."

The beam and everything else got bigger compared to the original. That has bigger structural consequence than empty sailing length with the same size accommodation and rig.

2. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Sounds Good Rob
    Cheers
    Al

3. isladelobos

isladelobos Junior Member

CSC30 was a very good cheap and super rapid construction method project.

Now i'm involved in a 43 model catamaran design (1:10), with a differetn construction method and materials, corecell - airex with infusion.

But this is another history for a different thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

So are you the offical boatdesign.net model builder now? Are u still working on your cs 30 oe is it on and up?
    And what software did u settle on please??
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

If not a carbon mast

Hey all
    I have a few pics below of mast ideas that Ive chosen to investigate if I am forced to make a wooden mast. Pic 1 and two are the same mast and it is the front runners so far. And number 5 is a very close 2nd. Now I hadnt realised that Id been sailing on a boat for abour 5yrs with a 11m mast built as a bet some 10 yrs ago built using the method in diagram 3. And after looking around the box mast still seems to be favoured by some and has proven to last. And number 4 is one that I dont think is for large boats more a dingy spare.
    Im not just posting these fyi I am asking if anyone has any feed back on which of these designs they feel would work best on a 30 to 38 foot cat. Obviously you'll need to use your thinking caps as its only simple lay out sketchs. But mast 1 has the T Support from base to tip of mast. And mast 5 has the support every meter although of course this can be modified for individuals. All masts would obviously need reinforcement at spreaders and jib and so on this is a given.
    Looking for any comments ideas flaws and such. If I can I'll for carbon build but need fall back position if not.
    Cheers

All masts are wood sa couple glass finish.

Attached Files:

6. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Just go alloy

A wooden, composite mast will probably be heavier and more work than an alloy section. If you use a spreaderless rig (three stays a side) then it will take you one weekend to fit out the mast. Spreaders cost lots of money although I made them out of composite for my little cat.

A cedar mast will require a beautiful table to be built. Grab an alloy section and get sailing

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Early on in my boat building life, I built a Piver Nugget.
    The mast was several 2X6 x 10' planks, diagonally chamfered on edge and epoxied together to form a 30 ft plank mast. The nose and tail were shaped to a roughly pear shaped section with wooden cross trees and wire diamonds for vertical support. The mast sat on a steel tow ball, rotating in an oak base and rotation limited by standard rubber door stops. There was no rotation control. The mast rotated by its'self on tacking.
    Worked just fine. :D

8. Ebeneezer

Ebeneezer Junior Member

I have not been down to my boat to retrieve those gougeon plans however there are a lot of very inexpensive used masts at www.usedboatequipment.com some of which are brand new.

9. isladelobos

Some draw time today.
    New Name.

CSC= Coastal sailing catamaran?.

[​IMG]

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

11. isladelobos

Wow, Free standing, need to be strong.

I not have space for the sponberg shape, i use another similar to Selden C211 or CC210 section.

12. brian eiland

Eric was speaking of free standing there as he did many such mast But it would NOT have to be freestanding, and thus could be smaller and less strong in a conventional manner, and would not have to be a wing mast.

Its the construction technique I was pointing out.

13. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Brian read all the articles from Erics site very interesting. But the loss off the two front cabins to masts rule it out. I like your idea of the 3 stayed mast, 2 to the stern 1 to bow. Although the unstated does make sense shame couldn't center mount.
    isladelobos thought we'd Kost you to your new model?
    Anyone got any ideas where to get old plane insulation? Was on a boat a mates dad built in the 80s he used insulation out of an old 747 and it was 30 degrees and it was as cool as a fridge in the boat when I had my after liquid lunch nap. He was so right when he used it it's really thin and apparently 100x more thermal insulation then house stuff. But he doesn't know where to get it anymore he picked it up when he took a plane to a massive desert graveyard in the US and they were just throwing it out.

14. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

Wing mast design as standard mast..

So Brian the below section is very much almost the same as combo of my earlier post on mast design on this page if you combo pic 1 and pic 5. You could therfore use this design for a stayed mast not just for a rotating mast or am I totally wrong? The shape is right and from construction method and comparisons to other builds it should work fine. Again please correct me if wrong?

Attached Files:

15. brian eiland

Insulation

You might have a read through this rather lengthy subject thread:
    Aerogel - Spaceloft Insulation for Fridge / Freezer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.