Twisting a beam

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by 300wm, Jan 7, 2016.

1. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

I have a couple beams with some things already glued or attached and these beams need to twist a little to butt up. How can I do this without using steam? The beams are 2X3 pine and only need to twist about a quarter of an inch. Actually, if I could twist one, the other is straight. Do I need to carry pots of boiling water to my garage to do this or can I do it with a hair dryer? It is a splice I'm doing and have no way to glue clamp it if I don't remove the twist.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Steaming a 2x3, which is likely kiln dried, will prove all but impractical. Can you post a picture or a sketch of what you need to do?

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of twist, maybe more to come. Are these quarter sawn? and are you using a scarf joint, because you will need some clamping even if just weights.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The amount of torque depends on the length you are twisting. If it is very short, the glue joint is likely to fail. It would make more sense to let the ends free and then twist them to fit.

5. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

I have no way of getting a pic on here, at the moment. I wish I did.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.