Crusader to Mercruiser

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by amerosport, Apr 13, 2008.

1. amerosport

amerosport New Member

Would anyone know what changes must be made to reverse the rotation of a 454 engine? I have purchased 2 1992 454 Merc engines with the same rotation to replace my 1987 454 crusaders one clockwise rotation and one counter clockwise.

2. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

The camshaft, distributor gear to match, and the front and rear seals, as they are rotation oriented. I'm not sure about the water pump - it is probably bi-directional though. Does the cooling system change with rotation?
    I would take the existing cam to a cam grinder and have them grind one to the same specs, only reverse. I know someone who had this done using Delta Cam in Tacoma, Wa and are happy with the results - though there are plenty of grinders capable of this. I used them for a standard rotation cam/lifter kit for a small block Ford - total was $135 with shipping.
    When I was rebuilding my boat's engine, I learned stock replacement does not necessarily mean identical to stock; and you'd probably be better off if both engines had the same performance characteristics.

3. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Wouldn't it smarter to change the rotation direction in a gearbox rather than the engine?

4. amerosport

amerosport New Member

It would be nice but they are Borg Warner V drives.I believe changing the engine rotation would be easier. I was wondering what components need to be changed. Thanks

5. pila

pila Junior Member

A few years ago I had a cams ground by Competition Cams. They seemed to know the specs of various marine cams. One was for a reverse-rotation Chrysler 360. Both engines seemed to behave the same, so I guess they knew what they were doing. That was a flat-tappet cam. The other was for a normal rotation 5.7 Mercruiser (chev), also a flat tappet type.
    The 1992 454s are roller cammed I would think. You may want to remove the intake manifold to verify that before getting a new cam. The rollers seem to last a very long time, so you could likely re-use them on a new cam. It's not like a flat tappet type, where the lifter mates to a lobe.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.