cruising costs, maintenance and price of the boat (sailboats versus motorboats)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vega, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I am going to introduce this discussion with the help of some other threads' posts on the subject:

Here it is, have a nice discussion;)

2 people like this.
  2. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

Hmm....Which would I rather choose. Stuck out in the middle of the pond with the engine dead in the water....Hard choice, really hard choice.
    Besides, how can ya play Tristan Jones if ya ain't got no sails?
    "When in danger or in doubt, hoist your sails and bugger on out"<--I think he said that.

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Ok, I might be young and silly in my view but........ isnt a sailboat cheaper because it use almost no fuel unless for lighting and electronic purposes? The sail can choose simple type with low mantainance.

If there are a war situation or virus spread out where everybody exodus with their ships and boat, I would have to choose sail......... hard to get fuel.

I would think I am careless, so use sail in the open water and use the engine to come near land, for better and safer drive in the marina.

P.S. too much fuel storage take up space and lend to slow the vessel anyway, water is more important than fuel for scacity in a passage. I like muscle motoryacht...... dont get me wrong, depend on the situation.

4. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Overall costs of a boat depends on too many local and personnal parameters to make something generic. that why there are so many different boats.

Some marinas in france have a waiting list of at least 10 years. That simply means buy a used boat sold with its place in the nearby marina or a trailerable one. Other options are simply not realistic.

5. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Another point:
    take *ANY* boat.
    Make it 10% shorter, 5% narrower, lighter and cruise 10% slower.
    Most chances that you will end up with a boat less expensive to buy and to maintain, whatever the initial boat.

Sailboats from 22 ft can be seaworthy: witness the mini transat. Some even crossed atlantic rowing.

Now you are left with one point, since your body cannot be scaled down : how much comfort (or lack of) can you accept ?

6. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Maintenace time and costs

Regardless of the type boat, maintenance time and costs are going to be close if you want more than a modicum of security off shore. Similarly, both sail and motor vessels require certain onboard spares. I believe that the discussion is narrowing down to either saill assisted (when the wind is blowing your way) or motor assisted (when the wind isn't blowing your wsy, or at all.) Motors well taken care of generally don't fail, and sail well service offer long life. Fuel tabklage is a matter to be integrated with hill design and distance.

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Of course, and I love diversity. What I am proposing is to make a little analysis of these parameters in what regards cruising in a sail boat and in a motor boat: The parameters are: price of the boat, cruising costs, maintenance and resale value.

To put some order in this discussion I propose that we begin with the choice and price of a new boat. Building costs can hugely differ as well as prices of used boats, so let’s start with the price of a new boat. I believe that if there is a significant demand for a certain kind of a boat, then there will be an offer of that product on the market. If you don’t find a guy or a manufacturer in the whole world, that makes the kind of boat you want, then that kind is not suited to these discussion, because we are talking about cruising, that is what lots of boat owner’s do, and the market obviously produces the boats they want (that’s how the market works, if you are wrong about what people want, you will be out of business quickly.

The boat:
    For cruising you need interior space, safety, economy on fuel costs and some autonomy.

Of course, a sailboat has two engines, a motor engine and a sail engine. That contributes a lot for safety, but even the most modest 6m sport fishing boats that go to the sea carry normally also two engines (the main and an auxiliary outboard, just in case). So, I think that it is also out of question (at least for me) to have a cruising boat without two engines (and that is also the main market offer for cruising motorboats).

The two main world cruising grounds are the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. That’s where most cruisers want to cruise, so the biggest offer relates to boats that are intended to cruise on these waters. That means oceangoing boats, but not necessarily passage makers.

For the sailing boat, it looks that what sailors are buying now (and logically what the market is aiming at) are sailing boats in the 40ft area.

Let’s chose the typical sail cruising boat, from the biggest manufacturer and the boat that he produces aiming at cruising in this size, the Oceanis 393:

The boat can have 4 or 3 cabins, two heads, it is a relatively good sailing boat with a 55hp motor and it comes standard with a 476 liter water tank and a diesel tank of 138 liters with an option for more 150l.

I don’t know a lot about motorboats, so I will ask the collaboration of the Forum motorcruisers to chose, from the world market, a boat with similar characteristics to this sailing boat, in what regards interior space, water capacity and number of engines (2), a motorboat fit for cruising in comfort, in an economical sort of way, regarding fuel consumption, maintenance and initial price.

http://www.beneteau.com/$gp/ficheModele.do?code=14383&extension=001

Attached Files:

8. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Good thoughts

Good input Vega. In the possible development of a long range motor only new design, one thing that I would like to reccommend is the placement of berths midship. I've been at sea in both Hurricane Bertha and Hurricane Lenny and the crew found that they could get adequate rest in the rather small quarter berths. In the V-berths they were tossed against the overhead and out of their berths, a rather dangerous underway situation. I realize that V-berths are a design advantage in use of the bow space, but I also believe that better and safer uses could be made of it that would permit better crew rest and accommodations in other areas. Most boats, both power and sail take up a lot of cabin room with lockers. Possibly lockers with drawer and shelves as well as hanging locker could go forward into the space currently occupied by the V-berth.

1 person likes this.
  9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

That’s what I want to find out. That’s a little early to take conclusions.;)

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

• C441.jpg
      C441.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
    • C442.jpg
      C442.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Somewhat the same

Vega, Phil Bolger's Wyoming design comes fairly close. It's a flat bottom boat though and requires low power to move along at a good clip. He has a series of designs that are similar and they are spacious. At he very least, they make ideal economical inland cruisers and may be a place to start. They could be modified with a shallow V hull fore better seaworthiness. Also look at the 45 foot Mark V boat on the net.

12. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I find it very hard to believe that sailing costs, such as maintaining a set of sails up to typical cruising standards, would cost as much as fuel and other expenses for motoring. I would very much like to see some realistic numbers for the two. To make a fair comparison, overal size, interior accomodations, and other amenities should be equal between the two cases. The motorboat will be under power at all times when underway, and in essentially all cases will have a larger and therefore less fuel-efficient motor. The sailboat will motor some of the time with a smaller engine. I would assume some sort of "average" or "typical" weather conditions and habits on the part of the sailor as to what percentage of miles are crossed under power.

In these days of rising fuel prices, another way to make the comparison might be to calculate a rough "break-even" price, where motoring is cheaper at lower fuel prices and sailing is cheaper when fuel costs more. My guess is that the break-even price would be much lower than what we have these days.

1 person likes this.
  13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

No, not even close.
    That is a design. For the reasons I have stated in a previous post we need a PRODUCTION MOTORBOAT, preferably a mass production boat, to be cheaper.
    The Oceanis 393 is a mass production boat and for a fair comparison (in prices) we need also a mass produced motor boat.

I am still waiting for suggestions.

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Me to. It is why I have opened this thread.

Remember that Willallison has said:

I am hoping that Willallison will come to this discussion and bring some light over the issue.
    I have to say that I have already heard about those studies (from a motorboater, of course) but I have never seen them.
    I am curious too, and in need of help from Willialison and the other motorboaters, to find the production motorboat that in their opinion fits the bill and is suitable to have that comparison with the Oceanis (price, cruising costs, maintenance and resale value).

15. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

For vega

I think the approach is flawed.
    You take one of the best selling sailboat, and ask what powerboat could compete against in fields where the sailboat is good.

I could ask the reverse:
    take a good powerboat (say for instance antares 980, of the same builder or nimbus 320 ( http://www.swemarine.com/320coupe.html ,widely rented boat as the oceanis 393), and now ask what sailboat could compete in term of cruise speed (> 16 kts, top > 25 kts), with the same ease of handling (no more than a throttle lever to push), same kind of independance of weather (no wind or upwind not a problem), with the same shoal draft, and of course at a similar price and liveability.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.