Dagger board cassette repair

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by markstrimaran, Sep 3, 2017.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

20170903_172009.jpg
    Any ideas on repair. I would like it to be usable. 18' sol cat, thanks.

2. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Assume this is port side so cracks are propagating thru the hull topside? Not looking so good.

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

4. markstrimaran

It's fiber glass, and urethane foam core, vacume bagged, the glass is 1/8" thick.
    The hull is 1/2" about 3 inches beyond were the cracks end.

The cat hulls are on trimaran, so as I found out, I can still sail with one flooded. It's not critical.

Their is a 4" round portal hatch, next to cassette. Very tight work space.

I have hand laid about 150 yards of glass. So my main concern is of the cassette construction.
    I have thought about using the hulls as storage, and cutting a 4 foot x 8 inch, opening, then building a hatch door.
    If I did this near the cassette, I would have a large opening.

5. markstrimaran

IMG_20170328_0792.jpg The daggers, and the steel welded to the cross member, swing keel.
    The trimaran balance point varies depending on sail, 150 geona or the 75% storm jib. It's an aft mast
    The perfect location is about half way between the rust colored items.

I could just remove the cassette, repair the hull, then adapt a Lee board. Might be the simple solution.

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Just make sure you cut back further into the laminate than any delamination. I helped a friend with a similar repair in that case we cut through the foam sandwich and tapered the laminates top and bottom rebuilt the inner laminate first against a piece of thin melamine that we sprung to shape and coated with release agent. Then vacbagged core and final laminate on the outside. If you don't need the case I'd get rid of it to simplify the repair. Frank Smoot uses main hull leeboards on his little trimarans which he swears by as easily adjustable and it seems to work ok on his boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.