Cruisers Inc Repower

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by mikemac, Jul 30, 2006.

1. mikemac

mikemac New Member

I have a 1983 Cruisers Inc. 25 foot cabin cruiser that has a worn out and very obsolete OMC stern drive. In the past when I used the boat I very rarely blasted off across the lake on plane, I just kinda putted around using the boat more like a trawler than a planing hull.

I was considering plugging the transom and putting an outboard on it. Since most of the time I used the boat as a displacement hull I figure I don't need a huge outboard to do what I want with the boat. The boat with the drive system weighs about 4500 pounds.

How much horsepower do I need if I'm not looking to get on plane? I want to have some guidelines as to what size motor I need. The other thought I had was putting in a small diesel inboard, but that would be a lot more invovled.

I work for a school system and have summers off to explore lakes and rivers and don't need to be in a hurry while doing so. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Fix the transom and try A Honda 4 stroke.20Hp.

If the transom hight is "standard" you should be able to borrow an engine .
    A 6 hp would probably be enough for slow putting , but you should bug your friends for a quick ride with their engine. Most will weigh under 100 lbs so its not that big a deal..

Whatever engine you chose will be greatly helped by a prop setup for the lower speed range (big dia small pitch) to maximise the efficency.

FAST FRED

3. mikemac

mikemac New Member

Thanks for the reply Fast Fred.

Do I need to get a commercially made bracket for the motor or can I build one? If I was going with a high horsepower outboard I could see where a commercial one would be necessary but not with a small outboard. Any ideas on building a bracket?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can get a ready made bracket for about $100.00 or less

5. rlager22

rlager22 New Member

Mike Mac How did it workout??? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 28' fairbanks sportfisher and I just want to put out to a dive sight and snorkle/free dive. It had twin mercruiser 470's and one is bad, other going. Want to plugg the holes, slap an outboard on and continue on my merry way. SALTWATER DESTROYS OUTDRIVES!!! Thanks brother

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

My thought is trade in the boat for something that is designed for the new speed. It will be more comfortable, getter better fuel efficiency, and make better use of space.