"CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Feb 22, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, If you read back you will see that Meanz did say from 5 to 7 years till the oil shortage became noticeable to the blind, deaf dumb and so on and 10 to 15 for the empty mark to loudly bellow its hollowness...

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my bad
    I havnt read through this thread in its entirety
    just the last few
    and frankly would need some time in study to effectively speak to the industry issues other than the pollution and environmental effects
    which I have studied
    Im pleasantly surprised that were so close to running out though
    as it will speed the decline in population we so desperately need
    which might slow the extinction even we are in the middle of
    another subject that desperately needs attention
    and preserve the diversity needed for the sustainable ecosystem were going to end up trying to live off of
    ah wishful thinking

as I said
    sit back
    relax
    laugh at the fools who still crow the industry spin
    eat
    drink
    and make the best of it
    cause we are completely screwed

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, I am not inclined to disagree with the diminished prospects in ones life, but one is only "completely screwed" if one allows it... :D:D:D Get that metaphorical "life-raft" sorted and organised....

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no worries
    Im having a great time
    funny how some people see new information and it clicks right away
    fits right in with all the known info
    and some cling with a death grip heads in the sand
    ( must be looking for oil )
    have a great weekend
    B

5. masalai

masalai masalai

We have signed a contract of offer for Sunnybank Hills sale, and I will sign a similar sales agreement for the "Office with a view" on Monday so I am pleased and looking forward to the construction of my "liferaft" - lots of standby names, but open to all suggestions by PM for a name for the Bob Oram 39' C motor-sailer..... aveagoodweekend and merrychristmasandahappynewyeartoyouall :D:D:D:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

That was quick!!. Obviously no doom and gloom in Australia and the property market seems vibrant even.

Theres the proof --cant deny it.

Unless its too cheap?

7. masalai

masalai masalai

praying fervently and God delivered buyers........ The market is **** and the noney is mostly in the banks of affluent pockets - to be kept there...... Just a matter of finding the buyer who "falls in love with the place".....

8. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

They make around 9% gross on a massive capital investment to supply us with what for the moment is the life blood of our world. Software companies, pharmaceuticals and many others double and treble the margins oil makes. Oil companies are price takers and by far the majority of the oil companies are national not private. So you want to take away the very incentive to go out an find the energy that for the near term we rely on.. BRILLIANT plan! Express train to shortage.... Then we get the right to ***** about high energy prices which are of course the very thing needed to provide incentive for alternates.... but then why would you invest in alternates when you have seen what rapacious government does if you profit from energy, even modestly. Honestly stop listening to you're telly... the profits are big because the enterprise is huge... big dollar figures pale into insignificance when you look at the investment required. On top of that these guys are investing in alternates, they see the writing on the wall better than most and they want to be "energy companies" with a long life not "oil companies" with a short life. Anyway so you seem to think that we as a democracy have the right to steal legitimately earned profit and limit a companies ability to invest in its future and navigate what will be a rapidly changing and challenging environment. In the mean time we save the Auto companies who completely misread the market and failed to foresee any issues with their product lines, fanbloodytastic.

Boston, I don't care if you have slept with the man... he is irrelevant, although I am sure you where brilliant. The video just gave a good explanation to a concept that was bought up here a while back. Regardless I still don't think you quite understand just how hard and fast this will hit, your priorities tell me that much.... which in the end was all I was pointing out, you lost that in waffle it seems. Anyway, not to deny the fish issue.... why don't you start another thread for that.

Yes you have to wonder who doesn't get it... and yes it does mean that every alternate will need to be explored, I have never argued with that. We will use viable renewables for the long run and conventional sources to bridge the gap. As I have repeatedly said before this is less a technology problem (the tech will come) than a timing and logistics issue... we have run out of time to do this in a clean green graceful way. We will have to throw a large effort at this just to keep the wheels on, unfortunately you are going to see quick and dirty stop gap measures before you will see the ideal solutions emerge. This will be a system in flux for a couple of decades at the shortest.

Anyway aside from the energy issue the same problem applies to every finite resource we have for whatever reason it is finite. Which leads back to the issue of how we make economies work without growth and just how many people can live on this planet to what standard. Then how do we get there, then how we decide these things without resorting to war.

I can tell you one thing, fannying about with 2020 & 2050 CO2 emissions targets is just a lunatic diversion. If we solve the energy issues we solve any real or unreal CO2 issues...and that situation will go critical well short of these BS target dates... meanwhile we can't put solar array's in the desert because the greenies are looking out for rats, we can't put up wind farms because small parrots stand a 1/1,000,000 chance of getting hit, yet we feel entitled to cheap energy, yet think that we should have renewable energy... that is so long as its not in our back yard and we don't have to pick up the development bill. Not that we want it all, or anything.... and in the gutless fashion of democracy we vote someone else pays for it, takes responsibility for it and indeed does it without making money and without disturbing our lifestyle with annoying things like high energy costs.

Do you think our bubble will burst?

Mas... good news and good luck.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

E gads Meany
    that actually makes sense from a republican kinda viewpoint
    course Reorge is a republican and look what a fool he made of himself
    dam I wish he would have caught that shoe in the teeth

to answer your question
    yes I think our bubble will burst big times and could be synonymous with winter kill
    There is a hole theory of winter kill that I'll spare you for now

several things though
    the energy companies could more accurately be thought of as a public disservice than a public service any day
    just like the tobacco industry
    the mining industry
    and the plastics industry
    the oil and gas industry knew long ago what they were doing was really bad for the general health and well being of the public and the environment
    they have shown themselves to be poor stewards of the public trust and as such we had better get ourselves some other stewards to help us into the new age
    hopefully one in which replacing one form of polution with another
    wont be a reality

the folks who created this mess sure as hell wont be able to fix it
    but they did profit from it big times
    maybe some of that profit should be expected to help out a little

if it was a person responsible for this instead of corporations
    they would have been sued long ago

have a great Christmas Meanz
    hoist a few
    and think happy thoughts
    B

10. Meanz Beanz

I'm amazed... most of what you see and do in a day is enabled by three of the four industries you have labeled as a public disservice. How do you propose they should actually work as a public service? Pls don't say government run as we know where that leads... but just how should the world work according to Boston?

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Meanz for the happy wishes - settlement for the "Office with a view" is late Jan 09 and any offers can be accepted as I have inserted a clause to allow acceptance of better offers (pay sooner)....

I can taste the salt air and am itching to get going.... May your preferred Deity bless you and I wish all fair winds and calm seas and a meeting of many new friends for a drink or three and a shared meal...

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well lets see
    the Feudal system didn't work
    the Fief system didn't work
    a few hundred in between
    the communist system didn't work
    the democratic system sure doesn't look like its working
    and you just want to know one thing
    what will work

best look to what hasn't in the past before you ask about what may in the future

seems like a good place to start is by expecting those few jewels who have made such a mess of things to give back what they profited to fund the the house cleaning

there is a microscopic snow storm of plastics molecules on land at sea and in the atmosphere
    its fundamentally changing the oceans but its out of site and out of mind
    the mining industry has left a legacy of pollution at every turn and nobody seems to care about that either
    time to make do with what we already have rather than continue to ignore the embodied energy of what we'd like to have
    the Tobacco industry is a great example of industry lying to people and using pseudoscience to do it
    I just threw them in for fun

and no
    I think government has shown itself to be the most inept in most cases
    Ild challenge anyone to name one thing they haven't screwed up

as for the UN
    they are also a joke

science my friend
    science will dictate what needs done
    steady rational research will lead the way
    were it will lead
    nobody knows

B

13. Meanz Beanz

Thanks... :D but I'm a godless heathen and apparently republican scum (WTF? do we have them things Mas?). Anyway I wish you well with the dream and the "Island with a view"... sounds idyllic, when you get there unplug all the coms and have a nice life. :D

Boston... Free Market Democratic Republics appear to have worked quite well, pity you lot chucked the constitution overboard and went mob rule... always a bad idea, its seems to have gone downhill since. Now if you can work zero growth into that model you might have some thing. If the US reduces government and it focus's on the right things and you dust off the constitution and start using it again things could improve. Zero growth is the kicker... after all man is man, competitive... not like an ants or bees. How do you built an economy that suit mans nature yet recycles everything, relies on renewable energy and does not grow... sounds like a very tall order, just how do you manage all that without a fight?

Science will not make men go and do hard jobs that need to be done away from family and friends. They do it for wages to provide for those they love... you must provide incentive and that ugly word for those in ivory towers... profit. Sure they can do things better but I think you need to have a look at some modern mines before taring them all with the same brush, efforts are being made and they have come a long way. Anyway if you can come up with a machine that will rearrange matter into any form required that would help a bit... no more mines :D

P.S. I can tell you that people will screw up the best systems if there hearts are not in it. Experience with large scale software installations taught me that much. Most of the battle is for the hearts and minds, once they are on board then the rest goes well providing the system is workable. As I once said to a CEO, I have provided your team with the worlds best hammer, now its up to you to convince them that it is worlds best hammer and to make the buggers use the right end of it.... otherwise this whole thing will fail.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well that was interesting
    that first part

I once did a study of the duration of civilizations
    I have it hear somewhere and its definitely does not support your claim

buy the way those words were uttered over and over by president Reorge while he oversaw the disaster we are now enjoying
    so if I liken your attitudes to those of the republican party you may understand if not agree

as for that bit about the failings of science as incentive
    you are right up to a point
    that point being when we have to find a way not to eat that last carp
    previous to that
    sure its all greed and happiness
    but once the reality is inescapable, traditionally those ivory towers crash just like all the rest

thing is we have yet to try a society based on sound scientific principles
    we've tried everything else but not that
    its not really what science does
    but
    its seem to be what science needs to do
    cause the decisions that we need to make are by and large scientific in nature and not something that should be left up to lawyers and politicians
    IE scum of the earth

that last I basically agree with
    people will screw up anything if you give em a chance
    its in our nature
    and yes there will be fighting over those dwindling resources
    might as well get used to it
    its in our nature as well

reality is that fine line
    between what we all think it is

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Deity - money, boat, spouse, weather, Sun or even Son?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.