"CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I know what you mean and I'm all kinds of sympathetic to the folks out of work today who work in fields were a more personal touch isn't the general order of the day. Often I can still find work simply by showing up on a job site up in the mountains somewhere and seeing if I know anyone working. I've been in the area long enough that typically I do. Thing is that used to work pretty well. Any more ( last few years for instance ) its been pretty rough. At the moment I've got a dream customer who never bugs me, pays when I ask him to what I ask him to and is thrilled at what I'm doing for him. Apparently several people have failed him in the past over these windows and I'm determined to get it done properly for him. Great guy, just wants some bloody windows that work.

anyway the days of door knocking are over when it comes to the job market

its all internet now son

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Half the staff in Loyang still cant use the internet or speak Engrish but they can play Cricket

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I pulled up to a job site in Bel Air, CA one time during my carpentering days, and the contractor walked over to see what I wanted. I told him I was looking for work and he asked, "got a resume?"

That one floored me for a second. Then I pointed at a wooden tote box full of hand tools in my pickup bed and said, "right there."

He looked my tools over for a minute and said, "well... they look used, all right. How much an hour you lookin' for?"

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

when I was a kid a guy asked me once when I walked up looking for work what I did, being kinda a smart *** I told him I was just another nail monkey. He yelled over at his partner "hey, got a guy here says he's just another nail monkey" his buddy yells back "hire him".

Those days are long over and I'm thrilled not to be framing my way through school again but in a way I miss it. Once upon a time you could just walk up to any job site and find work. Anymore its hard hats and corporate employees.

I was really hoping to get my boat under me on this job I'm on now but its been set back after set back with no end in sight.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Those were some interesting perspectives you brought to the forum...granted some of them were a little wacky in their written style.

But I do know of the White Tiger oil field off Vietnam, and it is a reality that remains unexplained in many conventional terms.

Of course THIS REF would have it linked to biological sources.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%E1%BA%A1ch_H%E1%BB%95_oil_field

I may have to do some more reading on this subject :?::idea:

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

That area is just beginning to be explored. China US and asian countries all reaching to stake regional claims. Could be a lot of oil there. I think there is a lot there.

We will never run out of oil. DARPA is now saying they have figured out how to make significant amounts of algae based oil.
    http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/darpa-biofuel-from-algae-could-cost-only-1-per-gallon215/

http://biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2...lgal-fuels-headed-for-1-50-mgy-scale-by-2011/
    I have read predictions on harvest are up to 5000 gallons an acre or more. AND algae love CO2. so combine CO2 from coal fired plants with algae to create oil. Redeems coal somewhat.
    Anyone suggesting scare of peak oil on world's future is not telling you the real story. I used to believe in peak oil, but proponents are simply fear mongers trying to gain world power, IMO, influence the UN, Global warming, al gore, etc....., it is all related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

I read that DARPA is working with the private sector to bring algae oil to everyone.

There is also Annelotech.
    http://www.anellotech.com/press.html
    which can make gasoline directly from any plant cellulose, wood sawdust, etc... using cheap zeolite catalyst , heat, and pressure.

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I think a few of the links to this original video have disappeared,...and some others now link to another film called "Crude"

So here is a link to the original video i opened this discussion about:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/crude/

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

with the collapse in crude prices due to oil is everywhere in large amounts it seems due to it being a product of the deep hot biosphere, and that exposed by fracking, algae oil and other expensive alternatives I have heard not much about lately in the news. We will never run out of cheap oil, what we do have problems with is the politics of oil.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.