"CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Feb 22, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

They were also slowed down to reduce the losses by the operators as the going lease rate was well below cost......

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Shale, tar sands, regular deposits, it's all dirty, expensive extraction and

it's going to cost us all more than we can ever imagine. $25US per litre,

$100US per gallon, or $1000US per barrel TOMORROW is the only way we

are going to see real change. Otherwise, it's "death by a million cuts",

we'll be "nickel and dimed" to death. Sad but true. Watch...

Tom

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well they are doing the're best aren't they
    thing is when gas prices hit $5 a gallon in the USA people started to freak and began looking at alternative fuels
    granted the wrong alternative fuels but still
    it was a start
    then a few idiot lenders made one to many bad loans and the banks discovered just how volatile the tiered reserve system can really be
    prices came down and no more interest in alternative fuels
    at least for a while
    but
    fuel is expected to get back in the hundred and fifty a barrel range soon enough and when it does
    alternative fuels will be back with a vengeance

bio-diesel has no chance
    and corn based ethanol was some kind of corporate scam if I ever saw one
    celutitic alcohol has a chance and its got some real fans
    but basic electricity is bound to have some uses
    that ceramic battery is going to change things fast once it hits the market

I think the energy industry will try to pawn off petroleum products as long as they can but in the end a new industry will spring up and they will have to buy into it or be left out of the money

its not the advent of alternative fuels that I think we need be worried about

the oceans currents that have been stable since the British Royal Navy started are keeping track of em are slowing significantly ( indicator of climate change ) climate change appears to be inevitable at this point and most of the researchers I know are keeping an eye on what the arctic sea ice does over the next few years
    if we have hit the tipping point in the arctic
    then we've hit the tipping point and the show has begun

as I think I mentioned a bit earlier
    time to get out the lawn chair
    mix another drink
    slap a dunce cap on a few of the more stubborn climate change deniers
    sit back and enjoy the show

cheers
    B

4. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

<<<bio-diesel has no chance
    and corn based ethanol was some kind of corporate scam if I ever saw one
    celutitic alcohol has a chance and its got some real fans
    but basic electricity is bound to have some uses
    that ceramic battery is going to change things fast once it hits the market>>>

I agree.
    Bio diesel is good for some very marginal energy recovery applications.
    Ethanol/Alcohol has an absolutely appalling ERoEI , worse than useless in my book.

However there is something else which has an ok ERoEI and that is two things;

Methane and Syngas.

In the case of methane we recover all our sewers , farmyard waste and organic household waste and create methane + high grade fertiliser.
    Save the petrochemicals for creating synthetic fertilizers and create virtually free energy (the wastes need treatment anyways & right now all the methane produced goes to add to GW gases)

Syngas is created by pyrolyzing organic matter. It produces about eight times more syngas than it takes to complete the pyrolysis, which is incomparably superior ERoEI to ethanol production, and it produces terra preta which is an extremely valuable soil additive. As long as as only a limited amount of crops (+any farm wastes) then this is actually carbon negative.
    Thus all crops cuurrently destined for ethanol should immediately be changed to syngas. Also the entire waste management systems need to be reconfigured.

Obviously none of this will even come close to replacing oil but it is clean and sustainable and low cost.
    Supplementary energy will be needed via wind solar and tidal/wave, and we must start preparing for vastly reduced energy supplies in the future.

We are presently pretty close i think to planetary malthusian limits, so as we descend the peak oil curve there will be an unavoidable die off.
    Sorry guys, but mathematics don't care either way.

We have through the petrol enabled green revolution (should really be called the chemical revolution) a unprecedented surge in population , far in excess of what would otherwise be possible. Not only that , but half a century of modern farming methods has severely depleted the carrying capacity of a large portion of world agricultural lands.
    Not a pretty picture..

5. masalai

masalai masalai

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

August may be vacation time for many people, but our reliance on foreign oil didn’t take any time off.

In August alone we imported 355 million barrels of oil and sent $25.2 billion overseas – the most spent on foreign oil out of any month this year.

We are digging ourselves deeper into a hole every day and our economy and security are suffering.

T Boone Pickens

7. MattZ

MattZ Junior Member

As a Canadian I must say thanks, eh.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

as a native American Im going to suggest you owe me mineral rights and reasonable compensation

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Got a spare million you can loan to me before it (US$) becomes worthless toilet paper?

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I will if these fools every pay up

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Just help yourself...? **** those videos on 9/11 that I put links to in "Global..." particularly on that retired military guy made me think again about the duplicity of the powers that be in USA??? - there is no real external terrorist threat if he is for real... How can those in power be so callous towards their own citizens - jeeees worse than anything in the holocaust - as this had absolutely no motive except selfish greed and **** everyone else - even their mothers? - absolute lowest arseholes of all the evil...

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I was on the trading floor in London in our Bank watching 9/11
    On the floor above me one guy was talking to his wife when the line went dead.
    She worked for Cantors in NY...

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my condolences
    I am convinced it was an inside job and that the multiple stories the gov has put out are blatant lies
    out of respect for the the thousands of innocent victims
    I say keep up the fight until we get some answers that at least seem plausible
    vilifying a bunch of Muslims many of whom are later found to be alive and well in Saudi is hardly a viable explanation

however
    exactly as P T Barnum predicted
    there is a sucker born
    every minute
    and roughly half the people still believe 19 idiots who failed flight school in single engine trainers
    flew one of the most complex airplanes ever built
    on what experienced pilots describe as a near impossible trajectory
    and without navigational directions from the tower

sure they did

out of respect for those lost
    Ild like to know what really happened

B

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

One tribe of traditional landowners in OZ own the place where our uranium mine is in the north.
    Only a small tribe about 50 people and they get 10's of millions a year.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Uranium

Ya
    doesnt happen quite that way round here
    here in the land of the free and home of the brave what generally happens is more like what the Navajo are still going through

Ive been to the four corners Navajo-Hopi reservation
    its desolate by any measure
    the people are dirt poor and many live in rock and mud shacks by the highway trying to sell whatever trinkets they can
    mostly native artwork
    some cheap and some extraordinarily well done
    I always try to find a piece I really like and pay a little more than what they are asking

its hard to describe conditions on this reservation
    heartrending would be a good start

in a round about way I'm related to these people
    ( interesting story in itself but to far off track for this page )

the US gov is trying to get the Navajo to sign away mining rights
    again
    and are offering to compensate the tribe
    again
    but they never paid the promised compensation last time around
    nor did they clean up the ~1000 lb of radioactive waist for each ~4 lb of uranium ore extracted
    they extracted 40 million tons
    multiply 40 million tons by 250 and you begin to see the problem

this first piece is from the Navajo Nation News Letter
    it was a special letter sent out to all Navajo on Black Mesa were the gov is trying to force the Navajo to accept uranium mining they have clearly stated they dont want
    on reservation land
    the second piece describes some of the carrots being waved in front of what amounts to the poorest of Indian tribes

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.