"CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Feb 22, 2008.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Spent a bit of time in India 2002-2007.
    ( Rule number 1 is the people are there to be exploited) remember this rule!
    you must repeat it 10,000 times when you become a polititian.

Fuel was quiet high cost so I dont think it was subsidised.
    However...
    Kero is subsidised as it is fuel for cooking for poor people.
    So...
    you can steal it amd mix it with diesel..well why wouldn't you the poor cant complain coz they cant fill the form in coz there' illiterate.
    So all the diesels smoke running this brew as thats what you get at the servo. They also put it in petrol of the tuk tuks thats one of the reasons they pollute so much.
    The buses in several cities run on LPG so they are clean, forward thinking!

On the bright side they have all girl gas stations!

2. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I don't know of wells being unplugged and reopened. We are mostly capping off wells and abandoning platforms. At some point, the cost to run a facility outweighs what it is producing. This is also how the known US reserves are know.

For the first time recently, the market is dictating the price of oil. There is no drilling right now, no new structures, no new wells. Boats are sitting at the docks, as well as 90% of the drill fleet. People are being laid off, and the economy is crumbling. Pipe fitters, welders, cooks, so on and so forth. It sucks, yes, but that is how free market economics works. Ups and downs. Oil companies will drill when it is "economically feasable" to do so.

There is no other energy source that can give us what oil has given us. HHO is a fairy tale. Electric cars need recharging....from oil. The world is at a food shortage, so sure, lets make farmland into ethenol. (It takes on gallon of diesel to make one gallon of ethanol anyway.) Wood pellet steam engines? Get real, we'll just cut down all of the forests. Propane and NG also come from wells. So what is the downside to oil? We're gonna run out. Oh really.

Lets get this straight. Only Sweet light oil is recorded as a reserve in the US. Most other countries lie about their reserves for "economic" reasons. To believe that the people reporting the largest commodity in the world are truthful is down right gullible. I wonder if someone stands to make money if the world thinks that supply is down and demand is up.

Even if the above is not true (which it is) then.......

Technology is available today to get to the heavy oil. Price increses are nearly non exsistant. Great oil where I live is considered SG = 0.87. We call it Heavy Louisiana Sweet. Heavy oil is being produced and is not on record as a reserve.

Sour service gets a little more expensive due to corrosive elements. Not much though, since one piece of equipment can take care of H2S. Parafin and wax can also cause more well shut ins and more pipeline services. This brings the price up.......do you see how that works.

Read this, it seems that the dutch are dumb too.
    http://www.runet.edu/~wkovarik/oil/3unconventional.html

Run out of oil.......... Did the big bad wolf tell you that?
    Crisis and Panic...... Who's watching the talking heads and reading comic books?

If we get the heavy and sour stuff, It will break our backs at a whopping 50 cents more per gallon for a few hundred years or possibly longer. Thats alot of money to give to those oil companies for going through the trouble to provide the world with energy though. I better get my guns and put on my spurs. Maybe raid a few villages.

I support an alternative energy, but what is being promoted is fantasy or economically unacceptable. I'd like to see a smooth transition into the future of energy (whatever that future is). Until the technology exists, oil will remain. It will not run out in my lifetime, my childrens, or great grandchildrens lifetime.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

oil companies profits are at record levels
    economic feasibility has nothing to do with it
    maintaining scarcity and thus keeping the price elevated is the goal of these schisters

There i
    way off base friend
    there are numerous energy sources that could completely replace oil and should have ages ago
    wind solar wave tidal geothermal
    all are endlessly abundant
    but abundance is detrimental to a debt based economy
    scarcity is what fuels price
    so scarce wasteful difficult and costly sources of energy are going to be the most profitable
    and profits is what drives this system

dam straight friend
    they make money of our belief in the scarcity of a commodity
    when in fact energy ( not oil ) is as free as the air
    wind for instance

technology is what could set us free
    it is not the friend of industrial profits
    scarcity and debt is what creates wealth in this system

actually its the easy to get to stuff that will run out
    guaranteed
    the rest is there but way to "environmentally" costly to extract
    as if the sweat crude didnt ravage the environment enough
    this harder to extract crap if not left were it is and alternatives accepted
    will be the death of us
    if we are not already over the edge

best of luck with that

read the graphs
    peak oil appears to be in 2005 sometime
    with no new substantial discoveries since the 1960s
    if
    and thats a big if
    we move to the abundant fuel sources
    it will not be a peaceful transition
    the corporate oligarchy that has profited on the debt of the world
    has no compelling reason to end its present methods of wealth accumulation
    it is us
    the tired masses who will have to rest it from them
    through logic and hard work
    no one else will do this for us
    not our illustrious leaders
    not our social institutions
    nor our children who only know what we teach them
    its us
    right here
    right now

let the revolution begin

B

4. masalai

masalai masalai

I am concerned about the prospect of rabid gun toting cowboys out on a rampage, surviving by raids on villages barely able to sustain themselves.... - - That seems to be how Americans depict Americans to the rest of the world...

- - - Crisis and Panic...... Who's watching the talking heads and reading comic books?... - - Only based on the sooo many - 'I have guns and know how to use them'.. type "angry" responses and the regular use of the gun as a grievance response as per your "mass-media" hypesters - which is almost the only view the rest of the world gets...

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

the misunderstanding comes from a confusion of the inner city violent gangers with the country types who generally are community orientated honest and hardworking and just happen to avidly defend there right to own a few choice weapons

nearly every day you read or hear something in the news about some random shooting, generally its going to be in regards to some fool ganger taking a shot at some other fool ganger or some wackjob offing some innocent group of sun bathers or the latest, an aerobics class

thing is if you have ever lived out in the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest house, you will quickly realize the value of a shot gun by the front door
    just in case
    there's not much help handy and if you need to equalize a situation
    its all you
    no way help can arrive in time

the vast majority of what you read about the violence of America is going to be in reference to either the military or the inner city kids
    maybe the occasional idiot hunter accidentally shooting someone
    but it wont be a country kid or his dad taking a random shot
    nor one of the ladies
    thing is out in the country folks are well practiced, know what they are doing if they do pull a weapon, and are way less likely to take an unwarranted shot

Im not much on cowboys, being Native American, although these days they are the least likely to accidentally shoot anyone, but Im ok with being well armed
    specially if things deteriorate as far as some are suggesting

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Here we use the term "cowboy" not to identify the task or type of worker but "more likely a naive, 'wild', drunk, sallow youth, who needs to learn a good lesson or die by his "arrogant attitude"" - so I feel definitions and colloquial terminology has to be defined also...

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no offense taken
    just that I tend to wear "the hat" from time to time and just hate being misidentified as a cowboy rather than an individual
    I actually have a serious aversion to the whole cattle industry
    and beef
    wont touch the stuff

the violent selfish few will die out fast in any prolonged calamity
    those who value family and the village will undoubtedly succeed
    its a simple matter of combining skills for the greater good
    rather than thieving for the short term
    guns
    are not the problem
    people are

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Tripoli must be a nice place.
    The port officials, agent, cystoms etc insted of asking for a bottles of whisky for my cousin etc only ask for....

Bottled water???

10. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I don't understand why oil companies are making record profits when the refineries in the US are operating at 60%. This I know to be true.

Exploration Exploration Exploration. No new oil has been found? Are you serious? With drilling capabilities better and deeper, we are finding more oil than before.

Wind power can account for 20% of energy needs. Still, the ammount of Steel and Earth Magnets needed for such a project would be astronomical. I think that the mining for materials is much worse for the enviornment. Thermal tidal energy, sounds too good to be true.

I work for oil companies, I I know how they are. IOil companies are businesses, so it is about money. It is also about keeping people working. But the technology just does not exist yet to switch over to........Whatever fairy tale energy source. Do I believe that oil will run out and people will fight over it.....No I don't. There is enough oil to support us now and for a few hundred years, probably longer. Do I think that we shouldn't look at alternatives for oil. No, we need to look into other energy sources and put money and time into investing in it. So far, All that I've seen to replace oil is fairy tales and rainbows. Nothing that I've seen can replace what oil has done for people as a whole. I do not have the answer to a better energy source, I'm no genious. All tha I'm saying is that oil has sustained us for many years, and has the capabilities to sustain us for may years to come

Let just say that Oil does run out, and people are fighting for scraps. Look man I went through Katrina that hit the SE US. If I learned anything from that, it is that a person is good, but people are dangerous. When you need food or water you will do just about anything to survive. Others will kill you for a dollar, or even a beer. I was certainly happy to have my guns when things got bad, lord know that I neede them. Will it come to what happened in the little city of New Orleans? Most likely not, but there are some that scare people into believing that is exactly what will happen. It's scare tactics man..... I work in the industry..... It can not happen....We will not run out of oil. Oil is a cut throat business, and yes people will lie to you to keep the price as high as they can get it. Is it really that high though? 15 years ago, the price of a gallon was 1.50. Now it's 2.50.. Do you expect the price to stay the same forever?

Alot of Americans are dumb. Sucked into their reality shows and media hype. Rap. They love it. There are many of us though that can see the forest from the trees though. Many Americans are educated people. I for one don't believe the hype on TV or in the newspaper. I just don't understand American Sterotype. We have good and bad. Our government has done terrible things and in the past, and the present. The American people are good people though.

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I have a few buddies that are on the well/field production end and sure they are drilling holes and pumping BUT most of these are small pockets that were deemed not viable 20 years ago but are now.
    NONE of this drilling has found a new Saudi.
    I believe all these new wells are just patching the lower production from the serious well areas.
    With semi subs and FPSO a well with a few years production is now viable and hence being done very day but well pressure also going down every day as lake very small.
    My take on the majors is they only want a stable price.

PS T Boone Pickens has placed as order with GE for enough wind mills to make the 20%
    he is trying to stop the US from going bankrupt buying overseas oil which it will in a couple of years.
    http://www.pickensplan.com/
    Remember servicing a large debt is good news. Having outgoings larger than your in box is trouble.

Who knows/wants to guess how much the US spent with year ending just after the USD150/bbl dropped back down....
    your fighting terrorism...your funding it!!
    you only sent $24.7 billion to your enemys in June. Not bad, price and consumption is low...a good month I guess.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Live tabs on US debt is here http://www.usdebtclock.org/... This is a snapshot of US$ type money disappearing of the face of the earth (to swell the "assets of a few greedy bankers..)... And still they continue stealing it.... Who is a *******? mark et-al? - - - - For OPEC oil, see second last segment (in gray) - I guess, unless otherwise stated, all figures are YTD (calendar year to date)

Somewhere, in the last week or so, someone "identified" world tangible assets as equivalent to US$200 or 300trillion, so it beggars the question how did USA amass (loose) more than 644 trillion in currency and credit derivatives - let alone all the other debts and borrowings... Maybe all your offshore and other "enemies" are really desperate friends trying to say "ENOUGH already, you have stolen everything, and now you want it again!, and again?".... Just think about it....

On oil, search for stuff by Matt Simmonds (not sure of the spelling)... as far as I am concerned, he has done the best of anyone in trying to find out the facts on "the global oil position" - good contacts and diligent digging and cross-referencing to approach an accurate picture that pulls no punches and tells it as he finds it... He may not be a brilliant public speaker, but he knows oil...

http://www.worldenergy.tv/ also has a good take on energy... I think it was from here that refinery capacity in USA of 60% of design is really asking for a major refinery catastrophe, as they all have well and truly passed their use-by date, and would have great difficulty in processing anything other than "light sweet crude" - - - The design is not able to crack the heavier stuff continuously... which in my ignorant level of oil knowledge, I guess, means big shut-downs for maintenance and flushing??? or whatever has to be done to continue processing the heavy stuff...

13. mudman

mudman Junior Member

The US is in debt because we don't make anything. Most US companys have gone overseas due to high taxes. We consume everything. I don't like it, it is just the way it is. There was a time when we made things that the world used. Not anymore. We had a bunch of money, then we spent it all up. The US government has borrowed and spent more money than I can count. I agree that our dependency for oil has accumulated some debt. I do see the bankrupt US bailing out bankrupt coorperations. I see the US giving aid all over the world with money that they don't have. Billions are spent every year on welfare. Not to mention government grants, military, sending people to space, and general maintence of the country.

The problem with a democracy is that the people eventually find out that they can vote money from the treasury to themselves. This is how every democracy has failed. They went bankrupt. What happens after that, a dictator must step in to clean up the mess. It's been a little more than 200 years for the US (average life expectancy of a democracy). Oil has not bankrupted the US. We did it to ourselves. Human weakness is the answer.

Heavy oil is hard to get out of the ground and to a refinery because it is thick. It is not hard to move once it is in the refinery. All that needs to be done is heat it up. It moves much better through pipe when heated.

First off, no need to wait a few years, the US has been bankrupt for quite some time. Second, T Boone has been promoting wind for a very long time. He is not trying keep the US from going bankrupt. He's trying to make money. He made a fortune in oil, and still does. Maybe he can pick up a few more bucks with wind. Even if the Pickens plan goes through, the thousands (if not millions) of tons of steel required for the project will not be made in the US. Too bad the cost to lay the transmission lines will be taken on by the consumer and hurt the US economy even more. Total cost will be about 1 trillion. More borrowed money. Sorry, but Pickens plan is not the way to go.

As an American, I think that wasteful spending must stop in the US. Like most hard working Americans, I am disgraced by my government. We have plenty enough oil, steel, and other resources to be self sufficent. We all like our cars, electricity, TV, cell phones, etc. Some Americans just want that drilling to go on elsewhere. Some americans don't want to go to the beach and see an oil platform. I think that if you want independance, you must be willing to sacrafice for it. Americans need to stop crying about oil prices, start drilling more in the US, create more jobs, get out of debt, make things (I don't care what it is, just make something useful) and support themselves. China owns us, the world hates us, our government thinks that we are untouchable. The US government is currently spending 1 billion dollars an hour on crap. Government healthcare, global warming, cash for clunkers, unemployment, failing housing markets, bailouts, etc. Who is left out to dry? The world, or US citizens? Who will repay this debt?

The US is in bad shape, no need to remind me of that. But oil is not the problem, it is the solution.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

http://futronomics.blogspot.com/2009/08/sobering-words-from-bob-prechter.html scroll down to the 4 videos..... "Elliott Wave International Founder and CEO Robert Prechter appears regularly on Bloomberg television. Topics include stocks, real estate, precious metals, oil prices, bear markets, debt, inflation, deflation, social trends, technical analysis, market regulation, interest rates, the Federal Reserve and politics..."

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

was a great monologue right up to the last sentence
    oil is part of the problem

part of the solution is wind
    part of it manufacturing what goes into developing wind right here at home
    another solution would be to expose these bums for the failures they are
    what we need is a blow by blow documentary detailing each and every policy and its supporters ( and there funding ) that ended up benefiting doing biz overseas

I say every politician is guilty and its just a mater of embarrassing the whole lot of em

that would be a nice start

oil is just a cog in the machine of failure

question though
    how do you think oil is going to be a solution
    we are running out of the easy stuff and the heavy crude
    if it needs to be heated and is inferior in the first place must result in a higher environmental cost and a lower net gain
    just curious as to how you think oil is helping

cheers
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.