Crowther Spindrift plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Santosha, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Santosha

Santosha New Member

Hi All
    Can anyone help me locate a set of plans for a crowther spindrift. Any help would be great .
    thanks
    T

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Crowther cat

There was an Auckland Spindrift 40 here years ago named Whiplash and owned and built by Tony Lawson - don't know where he is today, sorry - but you could Google his name maybe - he would surely have plans because he was a boatbuilder and they keep those sorts of things.

3. Catamaran Dan

Catamaran Dan Junior Member

I just happen to have the plans that came with my Spindrift. It was built in 1991 in Florida as a 37 ft. with a 20 ft. beam. Some of the sheets are in rough shape but readable. Also have the construction instructions that came with the plans. Let me know if you still are in need.

Dan

4. Santosha

Santosha New Member

Hi Dan
    I haven't had any luck with the plans, any assistance would be great. thanks T

5. Catamaran Dan

Catamaran Dan Junior Member

Spindrift plans

Well I may be able to help you out. It will cost you for the coping and shipping. I will see what that is. We need to talk direct so feel free to call me at 989-280-7352 and we can work out the details. We should make sure we are talking about the same boat. The plans I have were from about 1974 designed for 37 ft. long, 20 ft beam with a bridge deck cabin that had a pop top roof. The boat I own that was extended to 42.5 ft long. Get me your email and I will send some pictures.

Dan

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Is the designer going to get his/her cut?

7. Santosha

Santosha New Member

Hi Dan
    Please email me at santoshasurfaris@live.com

Lewis: I already have the boat , the plans are for my reference only as I dont think to many people would want a new 1974 designed cat?
    thanks T

8. blondefarm

blondefarm New Member

Spindrift Plans

Hi Dan, I have broken my mast on my 42' spindrift. Rigger i s asking for plans. Do you still have a copy?

9. Andrew Rowe

Andrew Rowe Junior Member

Hello Catamaran Dan

Crowther Spindrift 37 Cat

I came across your post I am reaching out to you from the UK. I am a single dad and wish to build this Cat with my teenage sons who are studying engineering. Would you kindly consider to email me a pdf copy of the boat plans to acerowe1876@gmail.com and anything else that may be helpful.

Best wishes
    Andrew

10. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

11. Andrew Rowe

Hello C Dog

Crowther Spindrift 37 Cat - 1976

Thank you for your reply . I like the simplicity / build ability of this Cat design which should be achievable for me & my 2 sons . I have some glassing of roofs experience and my sons want to get involved lofting bulkhead templates etc & making all the bulkheads & smaller parts at home. After this we will move everything to a corner of my friends boat store yard where we’re putting up a lean too scaffold covered shed for the build. Catamaran Dan had a pdf of all the plans for the 37 with offsets which would be helpful right off the bat. I have a small pack of UK marine ply left over but we were considering to possibly do a foam core E glass build. Hopefully Dan will reply.

best wishes from Sunderland in the UK a 1000 years history of boat building here but all closed down in 1990 when the big yards closed & China took all our cranes. So I’m hoping to do a boat build first one for years.

Andrew

12. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

Good luck with it Andrew, I'm in Coffs Harbour on the east coast of Australia.

13. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

While it might be legal at this time to copy the plans and build it is not really ethical . You can find plans for the B-24 , and other Crowther plans online , but Crowthers son still considers those plans as his property . Another designer contacted Crowther on the B-24 plans , while Crowther may have turned his head and let someone connected with the family sell a few of those plans he didn't give permission to the other designer to build one for personal use .

14. Andrew Rowe

Hello RBerrey

Crowther Spindrift
    50 years old ply design

Thanks for your post but thats the reason for my post . I’ve already contacted Indica Crowther website but they never bothered to reply. They are all likely too busy building those multi million dollar yachts & big ferry Cats to be bothered about little old me & my 2 teenage sons wanting to expand our knowledge & skills to build a simple design ply or poss foam core sub 42 ft Catamaran in our back garden & mates boat yard.
    It’s really frustrating .

My son is starting Cad in September at college maybe we should spend a year working on our own simple design then make it free to the world.

No worries
    Good luck
    Andrew

15. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

There are other older designs out there . The Hartley 35 is about $350 at Hartley boat plans , and about $190 at Clark Craft boat plans , the cheapest I know of . I bought a set years back just to look at the design and build process . You could stretch the 34 by 10% length only , redesign the beams and sail plan , and you would have a simple ply design . I suspect some of the reasons Crowther will not give permission to build his fathers designs that are out on the web is his contract with the currant company , who gets sued , as well as him owning the designs and not being compensated .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.